Professional quality pictures from a digital camera.

Let me preface by saying I know very little about photography. My fiance just bought a SLR camera, very high quality pictures. Is there a way I can pose my kids & get the pictures developed to feel & look like professional? If you go to a drugstore they will be glossy, not what I am looking for. Thanks for looking!

Amy82

Asked by Amy82 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I agree with Jen about using natural lighting to start with. Take the kids outside on a nice day. Try either early morning or late afternoon. You don't want super bright sunlight with the sun right over head, you'll get nasty shadows.
    If you do indoors I suggest learning more about your camera. Learn about using manual settings rather than "auto" with the on camera flash. If you have to use the on camera flash try and diffuse it by taping a bit of white tissue paper over it. Don't put the kids right up against any backdrop (weather it's a wall or sheet), put them about 3-4 feet in front to soften/lessen shadows.
    Don't use WalMart for your printing. It'll become a HUGE hassle if they think your work is professional. Believe me I know...lol
    Since I'm running out of room here, feel free to PM me or send a friend request if you'd like more info or to take a look at my pictures (I'm a SAHM with a passion for my hobby).
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You can go to wal mart and pick what paper you want. You can pose them any way you want. As long as they will listen and sit. Look up picture ideas online or picture pose ideas.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I have done my kids and my family's pictures myself using a digital camera for several yrs now. Even with a lower quality camera, I've gotten results that are close enough to professional that most people couldn't tell the difference. My suggestions are to first get the kids when they are relaxed and happy, so they will cooperate. Pick a pose, and go with it, but try to make it pretty simple. Edit the pics in some good photo editing software. I use GIMP 2.0, it's a free downloadable software on the internet. Up the color saturation in the pictures to really make them pop, and sharpen the images just a touch, use the photo software for both. Or do black & white, that looks really awesome. I print my pics at home on my printer. I use Kodak picture paper, and use the "best" setting in my printer. They look very, very close to professional. Hope that helps some.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I agree with tropicalmamma. I use my digital camera to take pics of my kids all the time. And I print them off here so I can fix any "problems with the pics on my computor. And if you don't want the glossy look, pick up photo paper that isn't glossy. The package tells you the difference. I think the non-glossy paper is called matte (?). But another good setting to use for pictures if you really want to make them look professional is sepia. It gives them the brown look that people seem to be so crazy about right now.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Another tip is take pictures outside. Natural light will make things look...well natural. Taking pictures inside usually means needing a flash which will wash the subjects out. If you look at a professional place they have their flashes mounted above the subject and reflected off of those "umbrellas" to diffuse the light. Also consider the back drop. If you do it indoors try hanging a plain sheet or something from the wall as a backdrop. When I was a kid my parents had a photographer come to our house to take pictures and he hung this blue blanket from a stand and draped it over some milk cartons for us to sit on.
    Outside is better though. I took some impromptu pics of my youngest on a bright day and without trying they turned out amazing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2009