What medicine can I give to a 1.5 month old with a really bad cold?

My DS is 1.5 months and is very congested and can't breathe through his nose (in particular when he just wakes up). I feel absolutely horrible for him. I am a new mommy and am not sure if there is anything I can give him or if I just need to do my best to comfort him (which of course I am doing regardless). Any advice?

hudsonmommy

Asked by hudsonmommy at 8:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can put a humidifier by his bed, they have ones that take Vic's so its menthol and will help clear him up. other than that I am not sure you can actually give him something. I would call the doc tomorrow morning though. Good luck!

AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 8:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• nothing really. Tylenol is for pain and fever and other medicines are going to make it worse as his body it to young to break the medicine down. You can use a vicks vaporizer along with a cool mist humidifier, use little noses saline drops and his snot sucker keep him elevated as much as possible. Either put him on a pillow so his head is about his chest or put the pillow under his mattress to keep his head about his chest so it drains out and not down. You can also but baby vicks on his chest.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I meant to say his boy is to young. and put the pillow under the mattress to keep his head above his chest.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• at such a young age i think you should call the dr
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• They recommend against cold medicine until at least two, in many cases six. Tylenol at this age just to help with discomfort is iffy too, since the doseage would be so small it would be immeasurable. At least in my head. Run a humidifier and keep him propped us as much as possible so he can breath a little better. You may also want to consider strapping him in his carseat or a bouncer or something and setting that seat on the bathroom floor while you shower. The steam could really help clear up his sinuses. I would roll with that for now and then call the pediatrician in the morning just to see what he/she says. And perhaps get a saline nasal solution to help break up the mucous as you suction his little nose. You can just do a little quick squirt in one the nostril and then use the suction bulb.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You can use Little Noses to help relieve his congestion. It's like nasal spray but for little babies. You just put a drop or two in each nostril, and it breaks up the congestion.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Use the saline nose drops and the suction bulb for his nose. You can call your doc and they may give him something but probably not. Cough medicines have been deemed bad for babies. You can also put him in the bouncy seat while you shower. The stam will help and maybe use a coold mist humidifier, GL.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• There is an aspirator (rubber bulb) made for getting mucus out of tiny noses; if you don't have one, get one. And take him into the bathroom, close the door and turn on a hot shower; let the bathroom get steamy; this will help loosen up the gunk. You can also give him some weak peppermint tea in a bottle - peppermint is a natural decongestant. Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• the only thing they allow you to give infants now is saline. little noses brand is what i used for all 3 of my kids. you just put a couple drops in each side. you got to tip the babies head back so it goes into the throat. hope this helps!!!
    CAREBEARDREAMY

Answer by CAREBEARDREAMY at 9:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Saline in the nose and suck it out, use a cool mist humidifier and let him sleep sitting up in his carrier or prop the mattress up in his crib(I don't think this is safe, but alot of other recomend it)
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2009