Hubby doesn't want to go to church......

My hubby grew up going to church and I did not. We have a 3 year old daughter and I want her to grow up in church because I didn;'t and my mom regrets it. We go every once in a while with his parents. Will it send the wrong message to my daughter that mommy goes but daddy doesn't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would just go and in the meantime pray for him. It might take some time but I bet he'll come around. I don't think it would send a bad message. If she asks why he doesn't go then explain it in terms she will understand.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I knew many kids growing up whose mother or father went to church but the other parent didn't. You see it all the time! I'm sure she will ask why he doesn't go along with you, and you can just answer her simply in language that she will understand. If you are dead set on your entire family going, maybe you can ask your husband if there is something that you can do, maybe a different church or a different church service time that would appeal to him more. What is his reasoning for not wanting to go?
    You can't force spirituality on someone and there are plenty of people who dislike church for very legitimate reasons. If your husband had bad experiences at church, maybe he doesn't want his daughter to have those kinds of church memories like he has.
    My father never went to church. My mother took us but it was our choosing. None of us go anymore and I never remember feeling upset that my Dad didn't go.
    RunninRagged64

Answer by RunninRagged64 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It his choice. My husband claims he is a christian but goes against everything the bible says so I don't fully believe him. I myself was raised in church until I was 10 and then saw the preacher out drinking with a woman who was not his wife so I gave up religion and now I am agnostic. I know there is someone protecting me but I won't put a name on it as I don't believe its one person. He wanted our daughter to go to church and I refuse to set foot in one and I don't think its right for him to want to take her if he doesn't practice the religion himself. If your husband doesn't want to go then don't force it on him. Maybe he was forced as a child or maybe he is not into the religion he was brought up in. If he wants to go he will and if not no need to beat a dead dog
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I don't go to church either but my husband still takes the children. When they ask why I don't go, I simply tell them the truth- I don't believe in God. If they ask why, then I will tell them, if they don't, I simply leave it at that.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Going to church is his choice.  One can have faith without attending a church so, no, I do not believe it sends the wrong message.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think it does send the wrong message when one parent is more commited then the other.That is if faith in God is a big part of your life.Obviously the kids will wonder why is it mommy goes to church and takes us but daddy never does? Chances are it will cause some rifts but as another poster said I'd just go with the your child and pray for your husband.Keep living your life as pleasing to God as you can and with the way you treat your husband.Eventually he will come around.God bless your family
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Anon, are you suggesting that it is impossible to be commited to God and have faith in God if you do not attend church?

I didn't know that going to church gave you "insta-faith".

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• No I am saying it appears to be of importance to the op for her family so I was giving advice.However,I do think it is important to gather with like minded people for alot it does help stregnthen their faith in Christ and it is scriptual.I did not give advice to the op to debate so that is all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Going to church doesn't make you any more of a Christian than standing in a garage makes you a car.

It's his choice to not attend. Don't pray for him over something like this, it's patronizing and just plain rude. There's all kinds of people in the world and they all have the right to worship in their own way. There's no rule that says you have to attend church to be a 'good' Christian. Leave him be. Use Sunday's at church as a 'special' mommy time with the children. When you get home see if Daddy will take them somewhere and do something for an hour so the kids get Daddy time as well.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• So she should do nothing to try and help her family become closer to the Lord.The word of God is meaning less and less to people these days.You are Christian weather you try to follow His word or not seems to be the motto.No surprise He said it would be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2009