Do you know the difference between science and faith?

I love this quote from Tim Minchin.

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief may be preserved.

Sorry, but the post about flu evolution made me think of this, because so many people can see evolution as it is happening now, and yet still deny it because it doesn't fit in with their beliefs. I'll never understand how that works.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think science is proven physically, mechanically, biologicallly. Faith is the hope that those things and other things will work and continue to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Scinece proved my faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Best quote EVER.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Science sees then believes. Faith believes without seeing.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• clapping

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:48 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yup, that's a great quote.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• there is a huge differece between Science and Faith. But one doesn't automatically cancel the other. My beliefs do not disproove scientific fact. And Scientific fact doesn't disproove my belief.

Look at it this way, hundreds of years ago there were stories of the giant squid. It was seen as myth and science taught it didn't exist. But many people (salors especially) had faith that it did exist somewhere out there... And guess what, science prooved them right, eventually.

All religion is based on myth and all myth is all faith based. And often there is little current proof to back the beliefs up. BUT that doesn't mean that they aren't based of fact or factual themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Many people believe in creation. Science can NOT disproove this because time travel hasn't been invented. But, science HAS prooved that the chances of life comming from nothing are slim to none. DNA is more complex than we ever could have imagined. This doesn't proove or disproove anything, but leads to more questions. Science has however prooved that the "sludge" therory is just that, sludge. And will all probiblility life did not begin that way.

Personally I believe in both, Science and Faith. They go hand in hand for me. And many scientific discoveries just go to proove my faith in the gods even more in my mind.

In the end there are no answers to the big imoportant questions until you are dead, and then they don't matter.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:43 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It's just a quote. Someone's subjective opinion on a subject. I've seen quotes by scientists that make sense, disproving certain things about faith. I, also, have read quotes by religious people that make sense. One view is just as stubborn as the other, neither being the "winner". It all depends on your position on the subject.
    Anonymous

• Absolute poetry!
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2009