When should Babies statrt talking?

My son is 19 months and he not talking much.

missy06_87

Asked by missy06_87 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every baby is different!!! For instance: my oldest daughter started chatting away about 2 my second daughter about 1.5 and my twins about 9 months to a year. The older two are fine but those early start twins hit a pitfall. Davante has a lazy tongue and Dalia talks when she wants to! BUT the here's the thing: ENJOY the silence!!!! Once he or she starts speaking words you can understand its not going to stop!!! Then the questions and the constant knock knock jokes(Davante and Dalia, the twins, love to tell over and over agin), can get annoying but its fun before that!!! What I do is get them to watch how I say something and encourage repeating it. We are working on abc's and such on starfall.com, as well as pbskids.org. My advice is to feel your baby out, find out what they enjoy and get baby books based on that and point out objects on the pages and encourage them when he or she says the word after you. HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• They are all different. Talk to your baby often. Help her learn to speak by repeating phonics, with your face close to hers so she can clearly see the movement of your mouth: mamama, bababab, lalala, dadada, hahaha and so on, with different combinations.
    My daughter said her first word at 7.5 months and her first sentence at 18 months. She hasn't shut up since.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If you are encouraging speech then just wait (reading, narrating your day, singing, rhymes, responding when a child says a word or makes a sound). If your lo is saying at least 5 words (in addition to pet names and mama and dada) than per my pedi that is normal.
    You can usually expect the language "explosion" some where around 17-19 months. So I would think that around 21 months old to be a reasonable worry point where you could ask your doc if your concerned.
    My lo will be 20 months old on the 28th and this last week we've seen a big jump (up from 10 words) in what he says. He seems to be saying some of the same words that are in his "word" book. It has real pictures of the items (door or dice) and so we point to the object and say the name and then ask him to say it.
    He only recently started to parrot things back to us. We have several "word" books, and I think we got his favorite ones at Barnes and noble.
    jacobsmommy0828

Answer by jacobsmommy0828 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My son is 17 months old and also doesnt say much and I am too becoming concerned most things I have read say not to worry until they are close to two so I am hoping to see that language explosion everyone talks about also I have heard boys take longer to talk.
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Every baby is different. Only one of my seven talked before two, he started at 19 months, he is also the youngest. If they aren't talking shortly after thier 2nd birthday I would have them evaluated, my oldest has a speech and language problem and he said nothing...not even babbling. So don't worry it's coming!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009