Whats the diffrence

Whats The Diffrence Between upper respitory infection and RSV

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• excellent question. All I can find in searches is that they both are viral but can't find differences. I know I've had to hospitalize my grandson for RSV but never for VURI. Maybe one of the CM nurses will know the answer to this.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i think they are just caused by different things. maybe the internal symptoms are different, like they sound different to a doctor on the stethoscope? im not sure because im not a dr or nurse but thats my guess.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:08 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• A cold is an upper respiratory infection is a broad term to refer to lots of different viruses, from the common cold to tonsilitis to sinusitus, ear infections etc, that inflame the upper respiratory system (nose, sinuses, throat). RSV is also an upper respiratory infection, but it's a specific virus whose symptoms are similar to the common cold but usually more severe; some young infants are hospitalized for this because it can lead to pneumonia.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Sorry, big type in my post: I mean to start with "An upper respiratory infection is a broad term..."
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• RSV Involves the lower respiratory system. This means bronchial and can lead to pneumonia. It is VERY contagious is much more dangerous for premature babies or heart problems can run very high temp if you google go to the march of dimes web it explains it very well
    littlemomma91

Answer by littlemomma91 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• so upper respirtory infection is just a cold but it can turn into Rsv right?
    Anonymous

• No, the common cold and RSV are separate viruses. Viruses don't change from one to another. When you get a secondary infection it's bacterial... like how the common cold can leave you susceptible to sinusitus and RSV can turn into pneumonia...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2009