While researching I came accross this... What do you think?

Historian Will Durant observed: "Christianity did not destroy paganism; it adopted it. . . . "

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Can you elaborate on this..how did it adopt it?
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• In ways that is true.Alot of churchs practice some pagan beliefs eventhough not all may know they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I tend to think of it more as the Borg in StarTrek. "Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Seems like an accurate statement to me.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:32 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Well kscmbz - This particular statement was found when I was doing a little research for the "Trinity" post. Christianity is made up of hundreds of traditions, beliefs and symbols that are not biblical, yet the entire religion is supposed to be based on the bible. The traditions, beliefs and symbols that are not biblical have normally been directly influenced by pagan traditions. While Christianity is rather a young religion Pagan religions date back to, well, forever. So most if not all of the people that became in high standing with in Christianity were at least in close contact with the pagans of that day. Be it from Egypt, Babylonia, Greece or other areas. Today we see these traditions as Christian, but originally they were far from it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• "The traditions, beliefs and symbols that are not biblical have normally been directly influenced by pagan traditions. " I am curious as to which you are speaking of. As I learned more about Jesus in the Bible, I didnt like the fact that a tree was in my house full of ornaments. Nor do I think Easter is about bunnies or eggs. So I taught my children and Grandson about the biblical events more intensely during the "pagan" celebrations as not to take away from the focus of Jesus. We are in the world not of it.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• With even a little bit of research, logically speaking, I don't think that statement could be denied. It is pretty obviously true IMO.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• There's this site I love...hold on, let me find it...

Here:  Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth.

Anonymous

• False, ridiculous,and absurd.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you would probably think so, :06. But, it is well-known historical fact.

Not that that should deter you from your faith. By all means, keep on believing :)
    Anonymous