Cyst on my ovary :( has me worried.

I brought this up before but was hoping maybe someone with a similar problem would be able to help. But any info is grateful.... I had my first ultra sound and the tech found a cyst on my left ovary the same ovary where I ovulated. She told me it was nothing to worry about but it looked the size of a ping pong ball! Then I've heard it could burst but cause serious infection. Could this hurt the baby? My mom had one and had to get it removed... its got my stressed and worried

AmyOmommy

Asked by AmyOmommy at 10:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• These happen every month. Some ppl get lots of them which is called PCOS (poly cystic ovary disease). They do normally burst on their own. I wouldn' t worry. Just talk to your doctor at your next visit. I've never heard of a rupture causing an infection but then again I'm not a doctor but have had a problem with cysts almost all my life. I've had aches and pains over them but no infections and no surgeries. They always pop on their own.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Cysts are pretty normal, you get one when you ovulate and they dissolve afterwards. Sometimes they do stick around and get bigger. If you're very worried about it bring it up with your doc and ask that they keep an eye on it to make sure it does go away. As long as they are under a certain size, they don't get concerned. I wouldn't stress to hard.
    southernwldchld

Answer by southernwldchld at 10:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I had a cysts before I was pregnant and they gave meds and it went a way, later I became pregnant and my first ulstr sound said that it was there but it just went away
    missmack084

Answer by missmack084 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My friend as a 12cm one on her uterus. The doctor said not much can be done until the baby comes. She has 5 more weeks to go. But her cyst is a cyst that is common in some pregnancies. They sent her to a specialist and he said it can do no harm to the baby and wont even be bothersome during delivery.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• thank you all for your responses it really has helped and is a big relief!~!!!
    AmyOmommy

Answer by AmyOmommy at 12:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2009