What kind of flowers? Gardening question.

For those of you with a green thumb, I need suggestions. DD and I want to plant flowers around the front of our house. The problem, I don't have a green thumb...it's more like the black thumb of death. The other problem is our roof does not have spouting there, so water would run off during rain and it is a shady spot. We live in SE ohio, if that applies. Any suggestions of something we could plant, that is not easily killed, lives in shady areas and won't drown during a storm? Or ideas for a cheap way to protect them from rain run off too would work!
Thanks Ladies!
Jess

JaR123

Asked by JaR123 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Ferns like shade and dampness. They are pretty, too. Hosta is hardy.

Answer by Bmat at 10:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Hosta is always a good choice for shade and it is a perennial, meaning it comes back every year. But remember that it looks best as a border plant or a fill in plant. You would want to plant something behind it that is taller, then hosta in front that is shorter. Well, unless the space is very small b/c of a walkway or something. If that were the case, liriope (what I call monkey grass) is a good choice. :) This comes back every year and is hardy, and it spreads.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2009