Do you really believe the story of the Tower of Babel?

The Biblical story of the Tower of Bablel almost certainly reflects tales of the ziggurates of Mesopotamia, and more specifically the great stepped Etemenanki temple of Babylon, whoch rose 300 ft above the city. To the early Israelistes the great, cosmopolitan city of Babylon, where many different languages were spoken, migh well have seemed an image of confusion, leading Hebrew scribes to link the city's Akkadian name, Bab-ilu, with the Hebrew word balal, meaning 'to mingle' or 'to confound'.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• So true, IhartU. I can see being offended but IMO when you believe something is 100% true and perfect but are then faced with information that negates that, instead of just shrugging it off, you should be intrigued to investigate and try to learn more the information.

Do you know the saying "ignorance is bliss?" I am not saying anyone is ignorant but it is true that it is blissful to live in denial of certain information for some people.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:16 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• What you say could very well be true, but I believe what the bible says. : )
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I hate to tell you this, but Sumer is the most ancient culture we know of ( two and a half MILLENIA before the Old Testemant mentions of Mesopotamia) and I'll be posting more about it's myths and the obvious links it has to the Hebrew bible stories which came MUCH later.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I haven't believed the Tower Of Babel since adoloesence. IDK but I am sure they are related to one another...it's definitely interesting.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Dont care how old a religion supposedly is. Christianity is what I believe. No nonbeliever will ever sway me from that.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• There is no supposedly about it duckgirl. Sumerian culture a historical fact.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think she, just like others who are faced with the fact that their beliefs MIGHT just be a STOLEN crock, are lashing out in anger. I think these people have never researched other cultures, beliefs and myths that are older than theirs and have just gone through life believing what they were taught.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• it seems a lot of religious believes have simular stories in them
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Strange (not really) when anyone comes in this section to talk of Jesus and their faith in Him a few just go on a binge with postings trying to do all they can to rip them down.This is all written though God said it would be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Funny how anytime someone wants to discuss anything other then Christianity and especially when people want to discuss anything showing Christianity's similarities to religions that existed PRIOR to Christianity that replies like the one above from anon start popping up....

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2009