what was your childs first word and when did he/she say it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my DD said Dada at 6 or 7 months old... but I don't know if it really counts as a first word or not cuz she didn't actually know what it meant. But now at 9 months old she tried to copy me when I say I love you, calls for momma, and is constatnly babbling and trying to make words. NOT A CLUE what those words might be though haha.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My 4 month old will say "eye" if you tell her hi, lol it's so cute, but idk if it counts or not. And if you ask her is she is good, she'll go "agooo" hahaha
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:50 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• We had some examples of her randomly saying things that sounded like words (mamama and dadada) really early on... but around 10 months she started saying "da" for Dad, Mom, dog, and done; and "ba" for bottle, ball, balloon... sometimes I count those. But the one I really count as her first real attempt at verbal communication was when we were all at dinner the day before her first birthday, she was crying a little out of frustration, we kept handing her finger foods and toys, but she kept at it, until she finally pointed to my cup of ice water, and then did her version of the sign for water and shouted "Wawa!" (she had never said it or signed it before!).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I don't think it really counts, but my 5 month old says Hi and a lot of the time when I asked him a yes or no question he goes " Yeahhhhhh!". LOL It's just too cute.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 11:35 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Hi! 7.5 months. Complete sentences at 18 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i actually count a first word as the first intentional, direct word. but the first-sounding word my son said was mama, around 5 months old. it wasnt directed towards me because he said it to everything, but it was so cute hearing it! he also said dada and baba. he said DADDY (to daddy)and PEE PEE (while I changed his diaper and told him "time to change the pee pee diaper) when he was 10/11 months old, but hasnt said them since.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my DS said "MAAAAAA" at 7 1/2 months and knew what it meant. he would follow me around yelling "maaa" He said da soo after that
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my daughter at 4 months started saying moms snd she calls my mom ooma lol this girl i went to school with says she is to young to start talking she has a baby herself she doesnt know all babies r differnt
    zoeysmommy09

Answer by zoeysmommy09 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009