Eve=Ninhursag: the Sumerian Goddess?

The original consort of the sky God, An, Ninhursag was thought of as the mother of all gods, and hence all living things. One of her titles was Nintu (she who gives birth), which also means 'lady of the rib' in Sumerian.

Ninhursag was intimately linked to the creation of the human race, which she and her son, Enki, were said to have fashioned out of clay. They killed a lesser god who was involved in revolt and mixed his blood with clay. As a result, something of the divine essence entered humankind, in the form of a soul that could survive death; but as it came from a rebel god, it was inherently flawed.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Info on the Sumerians definitely changed my opinion of Christian myth stories when I took a history class in college a few years ago...It is very interesting,

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Thanks for sharing....that is really interesting. 

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I also find it very interesting and very informative!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would like to know the title of a good book on the Sumerians myths/stories/believes
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I have not done much research on Sumerian religion YET. It's on the list but so are hundreds of other civilizations and my business, kids, hubby, house, book ect... So that list is ever growing. If you have a good book that you could recommend I would love to at least add it to the library.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Nope. No similarities at all. Eve was the first woman on the earth,not some 'goddess." She was created by GOD, as was Adam, and the earth, when he created everything in Genesis. There was NOTHING here before that,regardless of what some moldy babylonian transcript says. It's false.
    Anonymous

• Anon, you seem very frustrated for some reason...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• SabrinaMBowen,

I have many books on Ancient civilization but my favorites are: WORLD HERITAGE SERIES ANCIENT CIVILIZATION BY MARCO CATTANEO AND JASMINA TRIFONI. I also like THE ULTIMATE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MYOLOGY BY ARTHUR COTTERELL AND RACHEL STORM.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I'm not frustrated in the least. You asked if we thought they were similar,and all I did was say no. Just cause I don't agree with you 100% doesn't mean I'm frustrated. Just means you can't snowball everyone on here.
    Anonymous

• :35, for you to say there are no similarities is a lie...
    Come on, you know you see them, whether or not you want to believe them :)
    Anonymous