cost of daycare for a small amount of time

I am a SAHM but would like my child to have more interaction with kids her age, she is 2.5 & is already excited about going to school, so I think it would be nice if she spent 1 day a week, or maybe 2 days (half a day each) at a daycare... Maybe droping her off in the morning & picking her up right before naptime.
We do not attend a church so "mothers day out" wouldnt work.

Would daycares work with me on this? About how much would it be to do only 1-2 days/ wk.

Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, daycare will allow this, even if you are not working or in school. The PP that said that is crazy. I worked in daycares/preschools for 20 years and we always had kids who had SAHM. Most program do have minimum requirements, usually 2 half days a week, for something like that it should be too much a week (the preschool I worked at, it was about $40 a week for 2 half days and that included snack and lunch). If your school district has it, check into 4 yr old Kindergarten or Early Education classes, those should be FREE!!! I would make sure the program was more preschool than daycare though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• An in-home daycare would work more with you, but centers will too. What about preschool offered by your school district? Our high school does a free one, where high school kids work under supervision with the kids. I would look around. My sitter is $30 a day, $20 for 5 hours, or less--which is considered a half day.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would call around and find out prices cal a few different places and see whats out there..
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Most daycares require you to be working or looking for a job in order for them to watch your children. I believe you get 4 hours if your looking for a job and then you get like 9 hours or 10 if your working for travel time and an 8 hour day. In home would be the best as they do short term care. Have you looked at the YMCA for play groups or looked up women in your area who may want to start one? Take her to the parks and things to introduce her to more children. Post an add on craigslist in the baby section or community forum and start a play group so you wont have to pay for childcare for a few hours as its usually quite expensive unless you find in home care.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Check with your Parents As Teachers program through your local school district.. Ours here has a preschool program(ages 3-5) and a playdate 2 days a week with children from baby up to 5 yrs of age..
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 12:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Local community centers (JCC, YMCA, YWCA) often have preschool programs. A local parenting magazine would be a good source of programs, as would other mothers at the playground. Check around with local synagogues and churches; they often have (secular) preschool programs.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would look into preschools. They are different than daycares. Daycares you usually have to have 20 to 30 hours a week for part time. Preschools only meet two or three mornings/afternoons a week and are a lot cheaper. Look at the churches in the area, a bunch usually have preschools. Where I live preschools cost around $60 to $80 a month where as that is what you would pay weekly at a daycare.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Ive looked for free stuff like Public Preschool-maybe im searching all wrong, but it seems like my area has nothing like that (baytown). I contacted Kinder-care it would be $40 for 1 day & $60 for 2 half days. a bit much for us. We have a YMCA membership, but I must stay in the building (working out) & the times are kinda bad for our family- but Im working on moving my schedule around to go to the Y. I would love to do meet ups & such, they are in my area... But Im super shy! And have some social anxiety, thats why i wanted her to go somewhere that i could drop her off so my problems wont become her missed opportunities.

Churches have a nice price, but we dont go to a church & that would make me feel crappy! lol.. Most of the time people who attend the church keep their kids there-- not strangers.

Anonymous