Gov't Stealing newborn blood? reposted w/ link

I recently heard on the news that the government allows health departments and other places like it to take blood from newborn babies in the hospital. They draw the blood from the infants heel and you think its a doctor from the hospital and its really not then they do all kinds of genetic research and tests, that are not for the benefit of the child. WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF PARENTS!At least 10 states allow this. Is this right? Can they really legally do it?
I reposted this again to add a link about it
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=61984

chani631

Asked by chani631 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That's terrible. I hope they aren't allowed to do this, there are alot of things I'm scared of when they wheel your baby out for "testing" after birth.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:52 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes i knew that my son had it done without my permision I saw the bandage on his foot i was pissed I asked the nurse she said it was for genetic testing and i asked her well will i get the results she said no its for other purposes i was heated . My daughter was born in PA and she did not have that done i was prepared to start a war if they touched her and before her birth made it very clear that i dont want anything done to her with out my concent first and if i found out ,i was going to talk to a lawyer ..Were are they really going with that ..I dont under stand.If its for studies lord know what they are doing with our childrens blood
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Oh good. I live in PA now, so this isn't allowed here huh? Cause I was about to start freaking out again.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I gave birth to my son in the Island of PUERTO RICO it is part US soil and its common for testing .it didnt surprise me My gram couldnt have any children after her second ,because back in those a high persentage of woman were made infertile with testing new crap and they never even knew about it .and it was protocal for any surgery that a woman was put to sleep that she had a tubal ligation or full extraction of her uterus .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The first big issue is personal property - are US citizens free, or subjects of the gov't? Am I ASKED about giving up my privacy, or is it quietly taken without my informed consent? It just is not legal, and the gov't - of ALL entities in our country - must obey the law.

A big concern about this particular practice is that it could easily lead to your child being refused insurance coverage later in life because they have marker genes for one or another red flag condition. You think there is no way that an insurance company could get hold of gov't data? Not if the insurance company IS the Gov't. Connect the dots: universal health care (which is not yet passed by the legislature but IS ALREADY funded through a back door in the stimulus bill ! ) is being married to a database of everyone's medical histories AND a databank of costs & effectiveness of treatments (which were also quietly established in the 1073-page stimulus bill)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• what the hell does the government think it is doing? we have rights and every time i turn around more and more are getting taken away. i know that when i had my kids they tested their pku so they had a band aide on their heel but if they are doing other things with out my consent that is bull crap..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Also, notice this: right now a suspect in a crime cannot be DNA-tested without giving his consent. Some states are keeping the records from these newborn DNA screens, instead of eliminating them after the newborns' health has been cleared. All these children will have their DNA on gov't record WITHOUT their consent.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Is that the right link?
    Anonymous

• #1
    NCTR Research Highlight - March 20, 2009
    Quality Control of Next-Generation Sequencing – The FDA-led MicroArray Quality Control (MAQC) project held its 11th face-to-face meeting on March 9-10, 2009, in Little Rock, Arkansas, with the focus on the quality control of next-generation sequencing, a revolutionary technology for the high-throughput deep sequencing of DNA and RNA samples. Next-generation sequencing will play a critical role in realizing the great potentials of predictive and personalized medicine by providing more accurate genomic information on individual patients. Genomic data generated from this technology will soon be submitted to the FDA by sponsors to support medical product development. As the third phase of the MAQC project, the Sequencing Quality Control (SEQC) project effort aims to objectively assess the technical performance of next-generation sequencing and to address bioinformatics... cont.
    Anonymous

• #2
    challenges in analyzing the massive sequence data. Over 50 people from 30 organizations participated in the meeting and discussed study design, results from preliminary data sets, and project timeline.
    There is all kinds of interesting medical stuff going on out there, Genomics, there will be lots more... I'm not sure if it's a good thing though ...
    Anonymous