6month old sleep schedule?

is it possible to start a bedtime for my 6month old. He usually doesnt want to go down anywhere between 9-1am....its difficult. i was wondering if there is a way to start a sleep schedule so he will go down around maybe 8/9 and stay down for a while, is this possible?

MrsSimmans

Asked by MrsSimmans at 11:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Always possible, but if he's not ready then it will definitely be harder. I actually started a schedule with my 5 month old at 2 months. It is a bit later than most babies but it works for both of us. He usually has his last nap at like 4pm until about 6pm or 7pm and then at 830pm is bath time, (unlike most babies he actually gets WIDE awake after bath time instead of winding down) and then his last feeding is anywhere between 9 and 10pm in which we give him cereal and then whenever he gets tired LOL. Then he normally sleeps between 8am and 930am. But lately he's been going to bed around 845-930pm and waking up between 630 and 7am.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 11:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes, by 6 months old your baby would probably do well with a schedule. I would set a fairly rigid routine (rigid in the beginning, so baby learns what to expect... later you can be more flexible). What worked for ours at 6 months was: dinner (solids, I mean), bath, pajamas, nursing (with lights on), then I wipe her tooth :), read 2-3 books, then I turn out the lights and sing her a song or two. Even if she falls asleep nursing, I rouse her for some books and song time. THen I put her in her crib awake but calm and relaxed. She talks for awhile or goes right to sleep, either way without crying. And now at 7 months I'm making sure she's always down between 7:30 and 8:00, regardless of what happened with naps during the day (but I wouldn't let her nap past 6pm). If she's less tired one night, she just talks a few minutes longer.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I forgot to say if you want his bed time around 8 or 9pm try the bath at about 6 or 7pm. Then a feeding and either lie him in his crib with soothing music and lights turned down, or maybe try singing to him :]
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 11:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You may take a look at Marc Weissbluth's (or however you spell his name) book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Great advice on what happens when babies are overtired... which I am convinced is a major source of sleep problems. He also gives good info on establishing a routine, etc.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think my problem is i let him nap when he wants during the day :-/. ill have to fix that before i can get his nighttime schedule right. How many naps are 6month olds supposed to take during the day?
    MrsSimmans

Answer by MrsSimmans at 12:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I honestly don't think there's a certain amount, but my son never really attempted a nap longer than 5 minutes until he was 4 months old. Now he takes about 3 naps a day.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 12:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• well i have two kids... my 3yr old i started at 3 months old bed time at 8 wake up at 830am nap at 12-2... and she is now 3 and is still te same way... and i have a 31/2 month old who is now the same way... and ne doesnt wake up at all threw the night... babys and little kids need about 15hrs of sleep aday...
    what i did for my oldest was put her to sleep in my arms and didnt out her in her ed till i knew she was reaally asleep.... and i started feeding her around 7... then kinda rck her JUST A LITTLE then she would just go to bed. with my baby, from the time he was born... if at night he wasnt waking u to eat i would wake him just to eat... so then he started staying up allday.. soo... now i feed him and even if hes not asleep i just put him in bad put on his little musice thing the trun off after about 10 min... and he will go to bed by him self...
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 12:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• but it is really up to you how u wanna do it.. dont give in... he fighs it bc hes afrade hes going to miss somethings.... wat i would do make sure there is nothing big going on... start with a bath just to help calm him down.... then read a book after his bottle... then slowly but surely he will go down do it every night around the same time... and when and if he does wake in the night let him cry just a little then go get him... and if he wakes a gain wait just a little longer to get him this way he will think oh ok mom doesnt jump when i cry... and then sooner or latter he will stop waking up as offten... i hope this helps.... good luck
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 12:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• For naps around 6 months I did one nap about 2 hours after waking up in the morning and a second nap about 2-3 hours after waking up from that. They would usually last about 1-2 hours each, but sometimes shorter. If both of these were short or started really early in the am, then I would put her down for a short catnap late afternoon, but by 7 months this no longer worked.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• thank you for all teh answers ladies, im gonna start his routine tonight :-)
    MrsSimmans

Answer by MrsSimmans at 1:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009