How do i get my 8 month old to stop hitting?

It all started with a game of patty-cake. She slipped once and hit her dad and he smirked and giggled a little bit and now she thinks its a game. Ive told her no and put her down on the floor but it doesnt seem to help she just laughs and does it more. Its progressively getting worse too...now she smacks the spoon out of my hand while shes eating..any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• teach her to be gentle. when she goes to hit, catch her hand, bring her hand to the spot she meant to hit, and have her stroke that spot while saying gentle. this teaching method will also help later if you have pets or plan on getting any, and even for future babies you may have.

Always
    ~Syl~
    Fae-Lee
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My daughter did this too, and when it got out of hand, my doc said to totally ignored it. I know it sounds silly to do so, but a lot of times, they are looking at our reaction to something they do. If you take away their audience, they have no reason to continue the behavior.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I just grabbed his hand and held it and said "No, we don't hit each other" every time he tried. After a few times, he stopped, but he was a really easy little boy. My friend's son delighted in throwing toys(sometimes metal trucks) at his parents and their guests and they ignored it and he didn't stop until he went on to even worse behavior, but he has severe emotional problems now, so maybe he already did?
    Anonymous