Is there a diet I can put myself through this early in my pregnancy?

i'm 8 wks so I know its a crucial time to eat right, but if I take a prenatal vitamin everyday can I be on some kind of diet? I have always been a strict eater and always conscious of my weight, now that i'm pregnant I feel like I can eat anything in sight, and with that mentality I have gained over 10 pounds on my used to be 108 lb. frame

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If I was you I'd just eat better...not change your diet in hopes of changing your pregnancy weight. It can be dangerous. Just slow down a bit on eating and be more concious about what you put in your mouth.

I'm a small framed girl too and I gained 40 lbs with all 3 of my pregnancies. I'm back to 115 right now and don't look like I've ever had a kid. You'll be alright!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Eat like you normally would. All you HAVE to eat to keep your baby healthy is 300 extra calories a day. That's it. No more. So eat an extra snack or something during the day. Otherwise, keep with your normal, not pregnant, eating habits =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If you're already used to eating well, you might try the Brewer Diet. It's not a "diet" and most doctors will say that you shouldn't lose weight anyway unless you were quite overweight to start with. What Brewer advocates is a diet high in protein and dairy products, leafy greens, salt to taste, and water to satiate your thirst. He doesn't like caffeine in any form because it prevents your body from fully using B vitamins, and he says that if you really really crave, say, ice cream, then make it work for your body by adding nuts and dried or fresh fruit. He does recommend a number of calories that is going to seem insanely high to you (2600 as the minimum) but because you are smaller than average, I'd bet you could cut three or four hundred calories off that and eat very healthy for your particular body. There's a ton of information available on line about the Brewer Diet and Dr. Brewer wrote a book about it too.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Also wanted to add that Brewer, started at the beginning of pregnancy, has a pretty good success rate at helping to prevent the development of pre eclampsia (pregnancy high blood pressure) and gestational diabetes. Dr. Brewer developed his plan based on the belief that pre eclampsia is a disease of malnutrition and he had good success with it. It won't work to keep every woman completely healthy but it's a good starting point.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would just stick with the way you were eating before pregnancy. Snack on fruit veggies and cheese. Have several small meals instead of 3 big ones. Allow yourself to have a treat every once in a while. Remember that your baby is not using up any extra calories until much later in pregnancy. The what to expect when expecting book has a great nutrition section plus they have the book what to eat when you're expecting book. It is full of great ideas
    Anonymous

• pregnancy is not the time to go on a diet! Pick up this book, Eating Healthy When you're expecting. It's a very good book, tells how many calories you should be eating a day. You don't need to add that many extra calories. Just keep track and don't overdo the junk food.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009