• In the Spotlight:

How do you discipline your child in public?

1. In a firm voice you demand they stop

2. You tell them they will get a spanking

3. You take them to the bathroom and spank them

4. You reason with them

5. You leave the store

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I use 1,2 and 3. I am not going to reason with you...I am the parent. And why should I leave the store...my son has gotten spankings in the bathroom and the car for acting out in public. All he needs now is a look or a firm talking to and he stops. He's 6.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 8:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• 6. I give him a spanking right there in the store, rather than walk to the bathroom.
    Anonymous

• I agree #6 my kids know better
    Anonymous

• I whisper. I tell them we will leave if they do not behave. I rarely have to do that though.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Lol I dont discipline.
    I give my child my full attention for the moment. I acknowledge he is tired or upset or whatever the issue is. I validate his feelings. I wait for him to be over the fact he doesnt want to walk around the store/that hes tired..I let him cry it out or whatever by allowing him to know I am there. He usually finishes his moan with giving me a hug...and then we continnue doing what we were doing.

He rarely gets REALLY upset. All it takes these days is for me to be present and he gives me an immediate hug and hes over it.

I may leave the store if necessary but not to teach my child a lesson - just to get out of peoples way.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• A firm voice to tell them to stop if that didn't work then we leave the store.

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 1:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I start with #1 and resort to #3. I will never allow my child to behave so badly I need to leave.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 1:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• #6 but i only had to once and now my son dont act up
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• u forgot to put beat they ass right then and there. thats what i would do. why am i gunna act any different then at home? just b/c people are around? hell no! i have a certain amount of patience and they know that if i gotta whoop they ass then i will.
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 1:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• hes only 3....

i gove a firm warning,
    then i give a firm warning and tell him if he dosent stop we will either leave or if we are in a restraint we will go the the bathroom.
    if all else fails i either leave or take him to the bathroom

but if he makes a mess in the store or restaurant i make him clean it up...

2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009