Has anyone driven long distances with a 17 month old if so how hard was it?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it wasnt that bad. we try to leave late at night or early hours in the morning so he will sleep. other wise, we take toys, books, music, snacks, and it isnt bad at all. we do have to stop every few hours and let him get out to walk around and stretch his legs and change his diaper. any other questions, feel free to message me.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• We drove from Indianapolis, IN to Oklahoma City, OK. It wasn't to bad. Our son didn't sleep much, but he played and we gave him snacks and drinks. Now driving from Indianapolis to Charleston, SC when he was a year older than that (he was roughly 17 months on the OK trip) was awful! He was talking more and didn't sleep at all. We finally invested in a portable DVD player and it works wonders!!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 1:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• its not bad my son was around 21 months and he was fine we drove from roosevelt utah to nasville tenn.
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My son hated it, I gave him benedryl and drove at night. The truck was loud, there was no room (we piled up everything we could fit in it... And overall it was just way stressful. I still feel guilty about giving him benedryl, but I cannot drive with him screaming every 15 minutes, it just couldn't happen like that. Oh, and we drove from Michigan to Oklahoma.
    Hendrix07

Answer by Hendrix07 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i drove by myself from beverly hills to nashville when my daughter was 11 months, and now she will be 3 in july and we are going back in june. if she has to sit still for more than 10 min. she goes crazy and starts screaming and crying. she has been like that since she was a baby. it was the longest trip of my life. it was really bad.
    tomi.harley

Answer by tomi.harley at 1:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Oh wow! When my son was a little over 2 we took a two day driving trip from Ga to Niagara N.Y. (9 hours a day) It was...well...interesting. Plan on making frequent stops to play during 'wake' times and bringing a blanket to toss to them to indicate 'sleep' time. Have lot's of small toys available to hand to him. New one are best because they can hold his attention longer than one he has seen 100 times. The dollar store is great for that kind of stuff. wrap them in wrapping paper to! The unwrapping its self is time consuming and fun for a small child. For the trip throw all meal and snack routines out the window. At times you will need to just 'do what you gotta do' and hand him a cookie or two. There will be time where he will just be plain tired of sitting or not want to get back in the seat after a stop for that, turn up the radio and fade it to the front until the moment passes or he falls asleep (even better)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It wasnt bad at all. I just brought snacks and bought a few new little toys to keep his mind off the long trip. The longest we have drove in one day with him was 12 hours. And he done fine.
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• we just went on a 12 hour one way road trip with our 3 month old and he did great!!! the car was a bit cramped due to everything we had to bring with but otherwise it was great. He slept almost the entire time in the car! really i think it depends on the kid...
    mlmartinez

Answer by mlmartinez at 2:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• We've done a number of long trips with our son. Timing is everything! We try to leave a couple of hours before his lunch/naptime. He'll amuse himself for a while then we stop to eat and stretch. H'll usually nap for a while after that. We try to drive as long as we can between stops because we sometimes have the biggest problems getting him back into the car! Bring a few new toys/books (go to Target or its equivalent to pick a few up inexpensively) and break them out as you go along. Be careful about the Benedryl trick. it makes some kids hyper!
    Anonymous

• Do some prep work and you will have no problem. We took ourr daughter at 18 months to at least 3 over 8-12 hour driving trips. She did fine. Just made a few extra stops.
    I went to the library and got her new books and the dollar store for a few new little toys.
    trinnaman123

Answer by trinnaman123 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009