How much milk?

My daughter just turned 1 a few weeks ago. We've done the transition from formula to milk. She's not really into the milk, nor was she into the formula before her birthday. She only drank 12 - 16 oz a day of formula. I'm lucky if she'll take that much whole milk now. How much whole milk should she be drinking a day? She has a good variety of foods and also drinks 1 sippy a day of diluted apple juice. She's just not a big drinker and it worries me a bit!

cschwanger

Asked by cschwanger at 1:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She doesn't need cows milk. My toddler doesn't eat cows milk, but he's breastfed, so I don't have to worry about it. Even so, milk is not necessary.
    Hendrix07

Answer by Hendrix07 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My ped told us after DD turned a year old to give her 2-3 4oz glasses a day. It's the good fat in the milk that children under 2 need. Other dairy products are good for calcium but only whole milk products have the good healthy fat that an infant needs. I hope that helps some! I'm sure others will tell you something different, every Ped/parent seems to be a little different.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Water is perfect for drinking - you can set a great example be remembering to drink at least 8 8oz glasses a day. If you are concerned about good fats, give her avocado; a egg scrambled in olive oil; flax oil in a smoothie or mixed fruit; etc. If you are concerned about calcium, you can get great information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html
    The best book for feeding babies and toddlers is Super Baby Foods; you should be able to find it at your local library www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I was told the average toddler drinks 16 oz of milk a day...so, if your baby drinks less that is OK. Just have your baby drink water through-out the day.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• 16 to 24 ozs a day is usually the target but if she's eating other dairy products (yogurt, cheese), etc she'll do just fine on what she' s drinking. Just use whole fat versions of the other dairy. If she's a good eater otherwise, I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous