Why does every discussion of religion have to end up bitter?

I'm new here. I have to say, I answer questions that I both agree and disagree with. For the life of me, I don't understand why we can't have a discourse on religion with both sides resorting to insulting the opposing belief.

I can't be the only one that has a live and let live attitude about religion. I am Christian btw. And if you are, okay. If you're not okay. So what gives, really?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Opps...OP here... I meant to say WITHOUT both sides....

How's that for a Freudian slip?
    Anonymous

• well, religion is never an argument that can be won
    everyone feels strongly about their own beliefs, so when someone disagrees, it upsets you because that is something you are passionate and feel strongly about
    now, i don't agree with other religions [i'm christian also] but i do respect other beliefs

it's funny how ignorant the argument can develop when violence, anger, and hatred become involved
    it's also very ironic for someone who is so holy to be so close-minded and disrespectful
    ashleyanderic

Answer by ashleyanderic at 1:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Well, I'm new,also,and what I've observed is that if the non-believers can't be right,and bully everyone else into their non-belief,they will post garbage upon garbage to try and get their point across. They don't seem to understand that is all just as offensive as anything a Christian could ever post. They don't seem to care,however, as long as they are right, at all costs.
    Anonymous

• Because it's a passionate subject weather you believe or not. Also there is a lot of ignorance when it comes to religion (all types, not just Christianity). There is especially a lot of ignorance when it comes to a lack of religion. I'm an Atheist and it gets me pretty fired up when I see comments or journals about the lack of morals that Atheit's have and a lot of other Bulls**t misconceptions people have about Atheists. I'm usually a 'live and let live' sort of person but when I see my way of life attacked out of pure ignorance I get pissed. Christians feel the same way when another religion steps on theirs.
    Religion & Politics - two topics people generally can't fully agree on.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• eye rollingAnon 10:29 has just proved my point...lol

ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• OP here again....then doesn't it make sense...and this is to all of the PPs...that we have an intelligent discourse to clear up misconceptions? Like the faithful being brainwashed and the atheist being immoral?

I agree with what you're all saying btw, I'm just sorry that what could be a good and educating discussion for all, ends up being insult and ego driven :(
    Anonymous

• "Anon 10:29 has just proved my point...lol"

And mine :(
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:29 and people (from EITHER side) who respond in her similar fashion are why.

And OP you are not the only one with a live and let live attitude.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 1:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• "And OP you are not the only one with a live and let live attitude."

I know that. I would just like to see more discussion from those that have this attitude. I am always interested in opposing views...like the questions recently posted about mythology...but the debate and discussion quickly gets replaced with who can one up the next one :(

Maybe I just hope for too much.
    Anonymous

• Inteligent discourse would be lovely! I've seen journal posts where Atheists have tried to calmly to clear up misconceptions. In the end they get Bible verses thrown at them and told they're still going to Hell no matter what.
    One of the groups I'm in is for Atheist parents and the owner opened a public forum so that there could be discussions and questions answered by both sides. For the most part it stays fairly even but both sides wheather believer or not will have the few that like to speak out loudly.
    Both sides can't seem to understand the other. Some Christians find it inconcievable that anyone could live without God in their lives. On the other side of the coin there's a lot of Atheists that (were raised Christian) and don't understand how anyone can believe.
    Really I would LOVE it if it didn't matter what a person believed, but rather what type of person they are & how they treat others mattered more.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009