• In the Spotlight:

For those who are not christian but once were

Why did you decide to change your religious beliefs? I'm confused as far as religion goes. I've been going bak and forth on if God is really there for more than a decade. I have a very hard time believing but I am almost scared to give up. What if I'm wrong? I honestly believe in science and nature more than God, even as a child. What did you do about family once you realised you didn't believe anymore?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Learning about history and other religions is what did it for me.
    Anonymous

• Oh, forgot to say, my DH calls himself a Christian, but he's not all gung-ho about it, so our daughter will be raised to be open-minded.
    Anonymous

• I was raised a very conservative Christian. As an adult my beliefs have changed, and my family still has a very hard time with that. There are just too many contradictions and unanswered questions in Christianity to me (and no, I'm not interested in any Christians trying to 'bring me back' or give me the 'answers I've been looking for').
    taylor-made

Answer by taylor-made at 1:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I was the same as you! I believe and trust science. When it comes to my family, obviously my husband knows my beliefs, our son is only three so we haven't had the religion talk with him. We will however, let him chose how and what he believes. For the rest of my family, my brother, mother, and father know my beliefs, but the rest don't. I do not live near them so I don't get the "have to been to church lately" questions. If I am in town and everyone is going then I will join them and just sit their quietly. If you have any questions PM me!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 1:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• People who accepted Jesus then walk away... never KNEW Him in the first place. They knew a lot about Him but never had a strong love relationship with Him. That is the main reason people walk away. They allowed man to influence them rather than God the Father, Jesus the Son and Holy Spirit.
    I walked away briefly for a short period of time because I was sick of the hypocrisy but I never fully knew His love , I did not feel loved or think I was loved. It was during that time I found out how much He loved me and it has been an amazing journey since then. I truly cannot imagine life without Him. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i was raised in a chrsitian household..our whole family went to church every sunday, and us kids went to a private school..when i got to be about 13-14 i started hating it!!! with a passion!!! every sunday morning i would wake up and claim that i felt sick or had a headache cuz i didnt wanna go to church, i hated it so much!! then i would get grounded for not getting outta bed, so ya i was constantly grounded as a kid, which made me hate it even more...yes i do belive in God, and what not, but, i hate relgion being forced on me, and i felt like it totally was. so then when i was about 16 i started rebelling more, thinking that if i snuck out at night, started smoking, drinking, doing drugs that my parents would see how serious i was about not wanting to take part in their religion..they eventually gave up on me..which was perfect!! im 26 now, and havent been to church in 10 years. when it's time mabe i will go back!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• AMEN Shaneagle! Beautiful story.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I became a closet agnostic/atheist at age ten. What caused my change was the question about an all sovereign/all knowing God and human nature. Then after that, it was the history of religion, primarily Christianity. I don’t doubt that there is a spiritual realm, I just doubt there is a god.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• because history and research showed me clearly that god, religion, and most religious doctrine was created by man to serve man's needs, and the concept of god became a convenient excuse/reason/explanation for all manner of actions, good and bad. People want to believe in something higher than themselves so that they will lessen the fear of death....but that does not make god any more real....I am atheist, considering the evidence that exists, I am not convinced.
    Delabe

Answer by Delabe at 1:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I just couldn't handle all the unanswered questions I had. I decided to search for a religion or belief system that better fit what my heart told me was true. I'm not scared of what will happen to me when I die, because I believe that God isn't the mean god they portray in the bible. I think you should just search all the various possibilities that are out there and find the one that rings true to you. I think that is what most of us have done.
    As far as my family goes, most of them know by now not to ask me about going to church unless they want to answer some pretty tough questions about there own religion. I was raised as a Pentacostal and I had the bible taught to me for several years. For most of them, I know the bible just as well as they do.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009