anyone else have this problem?

my 2 yr old refuses to lay down, take naps, eat, and when she does choose to eat its only maybe 2 times a day, go to bed, instead she just screams bloody murder, like someone is killing her or something, she has heard me and my brothers and their friends cuss and stuff and now she's doing it to, we watch what we say when we know shes around now. i dont know what to do anymore.

has anyone else had this problem? how did you handle it?

my kid is gonna be 3 in july and is acting like shes a freaking teenager or something.

im one of those people who wont hit their kid, so i dont spank her or anything, but i am seriously lost. i have no idea what to do.

tomi.harley

Asked by tomi.harley at 1:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For meals: Have set meal and snack times. No one eats except at those times. If she chooses to eat, don't praise her. If she chooses to go hungry, don't scold her. Let her choose. She is old enough to learn the natural consequences of not eating. And don't make her anything special.

For bedtimes: Either keep doing the "silent return to bed" trick or make her stand in a corner. No talking, no TV, no anything. She is to stand there until she is ready to go lay down. I'd also use a timer once she is in bed for naps - she is to stay there until the timer goes off.

For the cussing: You can not expect her to clean up her mouth if you do not. She is old enough to resent double standards. She is old enough to appreciate your efforts to clean up your mouth too so make it an effort for both of you. Decide on the punishment is either of you swears and stick to it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• When she screams tell her you can't understand her & to use her words to explain how she is feeling. I wouldn't worry if she doesn't eat each meal. When she is hungry she will eat. Don't give her snacks until she eats properly. Time outs are great too. A minute for each year....if she is over the 1/2 way mark then round up...so 2 1/2 would be a 3 minute time out. Something else when she has a temper tantrum put her in her room & tell her it is unacceptable to behave like this & when she feels better or calms down she can come out. Good Luck!

CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 1:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Some kids can't eat a whole meal before 3, and just graze all day. Let her eat (healthy foods) when she is hungry, and start to get used to sitting with the family for meals. Be sure she drinks lots of water. Try laying down with her at nap time (you could probably use a nap then, too).
    You need a cuss jar; if anyone swears in her earshot, they have to put a dollar in the jar; the money can be the start of her college fund. Honestly, potty mouths are looked down upon in society it is to all of your benefits to use proper English.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes we have had all of the above.

I always turned the lights down, tv off and had quit time cause there is nothing else to do.
    Stop cursing completely and when she uses those words say , mom was wrong to say that word, we won't use it in this house anymore.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think the previous posters have the right idea. however, I wouldn't use the bedroom for timeouts because it then gives that room a negative connotation which is going to make it that much harder to get her down for naps and bedtime. I'd let the eating thing go and focus on addressing the other problems first.
    Anonymous