Child injuries

Has anyone's child ever smashed their finger, and lost the nail? If so, how long did it take to grow back?

pamelajqs

Asked by pamelajqs at 2:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Health

• It all depends on if they did nail-bed damage. It could take weeks if not a year or two depending on the damage that was done. My husband smashed his toe 3 years ago in Iraq and his nail has only grown half way back and my nephew did the same and he is almost 5 and its still only half way grown back. Did the whole nail fall off or only half of it?
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• ouch.. your poor little one.. I hope it heals soon not sure exactly how long but I'd guess like 3 weeks at the most, finger nails grow quickly.
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 2:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I did that with my toenail when I was a kid, it got caught in a treadmill (the old fashioned kind). I remember it taking a few weeks to grow back.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• All the way down under the skin was pulled off the doctor put the nail back in and stitched it up, but said that she only did that to protect the fragile skin under the nail. Now today her stitches popped out, and it started bleeding again...It has only been 3 days since she got the stitches in...I know that the nail is going to fall off soon, just wanted to know how long it would take to grow back. :( Hopefully it is only 3 weeks!!! One doctor told me that it may not grow back at all. The other doctor told me 3 to 5 months, my family doctor told me a month... So I'm confused, wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen and how long it took!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 3:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Well it's been almost 2 weeks and still no sign of a new nail *sigh* I'm still waiting, hopefully it will start to grow back soon!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 2:40 AM on May. 9, 2009