Children and changing religions

Does anyone have experience in this? Especially those who have gone from a christian belief system to a non christian belief system. What do you say to a child who still believes that God causes certain things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• hmmmm thats hard, it depends I guess on what you think it the right and moral thing to do, and their age. I would not tell them they are wrong but I wouldn't want to lie wither. Personally OI am a Christain, my husband is not, but I think that your kids could be right.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You need to stay quiet. Unfortunately, in some aspects we have to live a lie to our true selves for the benefit of our children. (Our lives are no longer our own once we have children.) Then when the child is old enough, allow the child to make up his or her own mind. Just not only for religion, but for other reasons. We have to think what's best for the child.

Religious belief is a personal choice, and should be respected as that.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• agreed, bluesaphire...although religion is important in one's life, as in 'what do i believe, if i believe'...you can't really teach a child to love red meat, then when you become vegen (sp?), expect the child who loves hamburgers to turn his back on mcdonalds.... because you have. (its past lunchtime..sorry for the weird analogy.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 2:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• This is why I don't agree with teaching religion to young children.
    Anonymous

• Children need consistency from their parents.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• All you can do is tell them what you have come to believe & why you changed your mind. It is important to tell them that each person has to figure out for themseleves what they believe & that they are free to follow their own heart.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Answered at 2:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 by: BlueSaphire You need to stay quiet. Unfortunately, in some aspects we have to live a lie to our true selves for the benefit of our children. (Our lives are no longer our own once we have children.)

I disagree stronly with this. Your first responsibility is always to yourself. How much you want to share your spiritual life with your children is up to you, but lying about it will not benefit them in any way. Also it is a great life lesson to know that spirituality requires thought & people can come to new conclusions in any aspect of their life. Teaching your child to be true to themselves is a very important lesson & you have a chance to teach by example.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I went from Christian to Pagan/Wiccan. My oldest was still small so they only change really was adding a Goddess.

The biggest thing was just to talk about seasons and the holidays we now celebrate. None of my kids really care. My oldest went right along and has loved talking to the Blessed Lord and Lady at night.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Hello nysa00,

I'm speaking of the impressionability of the child. I agree with you only if the child has comprehension of the change of theory. Until that child reaches that level, a parent still need to stay consistent.

BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 4:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If the child is old enough to grasp the concepts of God & religion, they are old enough to comprehend change. If they are too young to understand than it is a non-issue because they didn't understand so there is nothing to explain.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009