• In the Spotlight:

spitting up everytime

for the last two days my 4 week old little boy has been spittng up everytime i feed him. and it's not just a little it's all of it. i breast feed and i'm wondering if maybe i should switch to formula. my first son never had this problem so i'm a little concerned

SpringMommy07

Asked by SpringMommy07 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't switch to anything until you talk to your doctor. He might have GERD (they can test for it) or just a virus. You have to take him to the doctor. Breastmilk is usually always best, so I would be more prepared to say that there's something else going on, maybe something serious. Talk to your doctor and make sure the doctor knows that it's not just a little spitting up, it's every time and it's entire feedings. Definitely not normal.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 2:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My son did and he was diganosed with reflux. The best thing is to sit him up right away after feeding him and keep him upright as much as possible when feeding as well. Talk with you doctor and see what he recommends because if it is reflux they will be able to help you.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Have you tried burping him maybe the air is making him puke.
    Anonymous

• Try a different position with him. Try burping him more often and once your done burp him and lay him in a bouncy seat or the swing so he can digest his food. If he is falling asleep try and keep him awake for 30 minutes so he can digest the food if not lay him in an upright position as all the movement may be causing him to vomit or if you lay him flat it may upset his stomach.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Some babies just spit up a lot! My 2nd (breastfed) spit up at every feeding, and it seemed like a lot. He was gaining weight and was happy so the Dr. said it was not a problem. In general, breastfed babies spit up a little less than formula babies because it is easier to digest. If you have an oversupply of milk that can make it worse. Kellymom has some good info that can help you determine if it is a problem, or perhaps made worse by oversupply etc. My baby spits up - is this a problem?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Spitting up has nothing to do with your breastmilk, so please do not switch to formula for this reason!!! It's understandable that you're worried he's not getting enough, but you can count diapers and if he has 6-8 wets in 24 hours you can rest assured that he's keeping enough milk down. My first daughter spit up buckets... it was so gross... but she gained weight fine. Really, she was perfectly fine. We just couldn't go anywhere for the first 8 months without a burp cloth draped across our shoulder (and another couple of them in the diaper bag).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It could be something you are eating? My son spits up non stop some days. A lot we go through lots of laundry but he is gaining just fine. I had to switch him to a soy formula which helped. If your baby is lactose or something you might have to cut out milk. talk to your doctor right away.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 5:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009