pain management advice or techniques for delivery

LaciJ

Asked by LaciJ at 6:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Pain Management: Practice focusued relaxation and meditation. If you have a birth partner they can help with this. I focus on relaxing each part of my body starting at the top of my head and working my way down through the muscles in my face focusing on relaxing my eyes, the spot between them (where you scrunch your eyebrows) and my jaw
    You can also take a picture of the baby's room, or make a collage of your family and focus on thinking about what things will be like when the baby arrives.

Delivery: Do what feels comfortable and natural to you-- not what is convenient for the doctor (unless there are special circumstances). Let gravity work with you, try a birthing ball, or squatting. If it's less painful for you then it's probably what you should be doing. Listen to your body, and voice your opinions to staff, or to your partner and have them deal with staff.

Good Luck, and B R E A T H E!!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 6:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• try to go without it first if u cant do it than get some
    tiffany720

Answer by tiffany720 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If you have to have meds it's ok. you can try the lamaze and what not if you want. But if you go for the epidural, make sure you are aware of the risks involoved and get demerol first. OMG the demerol will take enuff edge off to have the epidural inserted.
    Anonymous

• I don't care how long we've been giving birth, I'm still up for the meds! To me, it's like breaking your arm, then deciding you aren't going to the hospital because they didn't do that hundreds of years ago. Moms like to compete, but there is nothing wrong with getting meds! Be careful about demerol and the epidural, with my 2nd they gave those too close together and I had a bad reaction. I don't even remember pain with getting an epidural. You are already in pain. What really helped me was breathing out and focusing on one thing. When the contractions came, I laid on my side, and stared at this stupid pole, breathing in and heavy out. Think of it as "breathing the pain out"

This silly little technique I learned once works (and in other instances for other problems too). Imagine your body is white, and the pain is red. With each breath, you want to blow out as much red as you can, start from your head and blow. Hope it works for you!

NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 8:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2008