• In the Spotlight:

article about Wiccans and Satanist...

I read an article in my newspaper today, in their religious Q & A section. I couldn't believe it. The first 2 or 3 paragraphs may be accurate. But the rest of the article was so obviously incorrect, that I got a little mad. I couldn't believe someone would reply to someone, obviously looking to help bring tolerance to her religion, with something that not only will bring more hatred toward her religion, but the other religion as well. The writer obviously didn't do her homework before writing this letter.

What would you do, if someone wrote an answer like that to a question of yours in the paper for all to see?

article:
http://www.buffalonews.com/opinioncolumns/columns/otherlife/story/651018.html

place to reply to writer of article if you want to complain:
godsquadquestion@aol.com

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 2:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• email sent
    "black magic"???
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I am not sure what I would do but as a reader that knows the response is not accurate I would right a rebuttal and send it to the paper.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 2:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You're right, she posted those things without doing her research.
    I would send a simple, polite "clarification" letter.
    Anonymous

• If you even wanted to bother...
    Anonymous

• I tend to walk away from all belief descriptions. They just tend to evolve and evolve into oblivion.

I do, however, believe that there is a responsibility to the general public in free speech. People need to be careful to what they say.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 3:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Do you mind if I repost this in one of my groups?
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 3:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Both have similar moral maxims (Speaking of Satanism and Wicca)

This is a stupid statement.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It is a valid viewpoint, though obviously Pagans will disagree with some of it. I only specifically disagree with 2 points: "Satanists perform black magic and Wiccans white magic, but both perform magic. " I don't agree that magic is black & white. & "Magic is the assumption that God’s powers can become a person’s powers through incantations and rituals" Obviously I don't believe that it is the assumption of God's powers because I don't believe they are God's powers for us to assume.

What specifically do you disagree with?

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think that was just her personal point of view.Which in truth the person that had asked her had wanted it. You may not agree,but it wasn't an answer to you personally,and if you feel it is misinformed then i would share why and clarify whatever mistakes she had made. JMO. GB.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I don't really see anything that inaccurate about the Satanism part.....is it the description of Wicca you all are angry at? Yes, some Satanists use "black magick". All that means is we are not limited to "good" deeds. If someone harms us, we can take revenge. I don't practice magick, many don't....but there's a lot of mention of it in the Satanic Bible because LaVey happened to be heavily into it, so it's not technically a misconception.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2009