• In the Spotlight:

my four week old...

keeps sleeping five hours or so and not feeding.... she is doing it during the day too... i mean she wakes to eat but sometimes she goes a little over 5 hours so i wake her.... she is alert but kinda groggy/dopey like while feeding... n than goes right bak to sleeep... is this bad?... she is also eating 4-5 oz's....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's fine. Newborns sleep a ton. I didn't take this advice when my daughter was an infant - I wanted her awake more - but ENJOY THIS TIME. lol - Pretty soon you will be hoping for a little time to yourself.
    Anonymous

• Leave her alone and let her sleep. Babies should be hungry fed and not time fed. As long as she is eating 24 oz or so a day she is fine. Never wake a sleeping baby they will wake when they are hungry. You want her wide awake while feeding her so she doesn't get access gas and things like that from being a lazy eater. Let her sleep and if its more than 8 hours during the day wake her. If not she will never sleep all night later on because she will expect her feedings all the time.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yeah the best advice I got was from my mom and grandma that said leave a sleeping baby alone. They'll eat when hungry. Consider yourself lucky that she 's sleeping 5 hrs and than eating 4-5 oz at once. Ours was sleeping about 2 hrs than eating 2 or so. It pretty much comes out the same. As long as she's gaining weight, I'm sure she's fine.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 3:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• All 3 advices are sound!!! You need to be resting with her! The ONLY time to worry is when weight is NOT being gained! Like one other mom said do not rush this time!!! When she is active you can kiss your peace and tranquility goodbye. To keep baby blues at bay and to get her familiar with you, your smell and your sounds you need to take naps with her! Do not force her to feed because it will only frustrated you both.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My second daughter was like that for the first couple of months. My husband would say at the end of some days, "wow, she had a couple of "good half hour" stretches of awake time! (My first, on the other hand, had a couple of "good half hour" stretches of sleep time at the same age, so it totally threw us off). But it sounds like normal range.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2009