Do you know anybody who went to school and still is illiturate?

I was just wondering. Every now and again you hear stories of people who went to school and were able to hide the fact that they can't read or write for years. HOW? How do you pass any test? And how can it get that far?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My dad is 63 and still can't read or write. He knows very little words, but thats about it. It can happen. My dad went thru maybe 9th grade if that. I guess the schools out here back then, just pushed kids thru. Its sad and very hard. My dad did have his own business for over 25 years, but my mom did all the books and financial stuff for him. He basically just did the work. It was very hard on him. I remember as a kid reading articles to him out of magazines, or newspapers even. Definitely something you don't see everyday.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• you? ILLITERATE*
    Anonymous

• I went to school with a kid who couldn't read. I know that he flunked everything and never graduated. He did however move up with all of us each year.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Hey Anon :56 ILLITERATE is when you can't READ like you! nothing to do with writing!
    Anonymous

• Illiterate is usually used in association with uneducated. Ignorant is usually used when you have not been taught, but once taught, you can do the task. Anyone who went to school is literate to some level; however, if you are going to ask such a loaded question, use the full text editor and hit spell check before you submit the question.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I have a friend that moved from the Czech Republic at 13, he spoke zero English. He learned to speak Engish, but never to read it. He could make out enough to get by, but and he'd keeping getting passed to the next grade... He's hardly literate at all as an adult.
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 8:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009