Anyone else have a baby (mine is 8 weeks today) and feel like your getting nothing out of it but grief!?

My little girl is cute and all that and I love her etc but I never get more than 10 minutes of cute smiles and cooing before she starts to fuss and wail. She's the most hyper-stimulated baby I think I've ever met. You'd think I could take her for walks but NOooo she FREAKS out. Same goes for the car, unless she's already in sleep mode don't you dare put her in the car seat. I've never heard of a baby developing colic at 8 weeks because before this she was totally manageable but not if it weren't for the hairdryer (and that's NOT a guarantee) I would be totally insane!! I can promise this is the last child I will ever have, it's just not in my genetic makeup to want to deal with this kind of stress, I guess I'm just too selfish.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes my daughter at 3 weeks decided she would scream from 8 pm until 3 am nightly for 3 weeks. I wanted to walk away and never come back. Finally I gave her to a neighbor for a few hours and slept and was fine. Take a break for yourself. Your sleep deprived and need some alone time. Try doing soothing things instead to keep her calm. Our daughter would laugh and be happy then flip out and we just learn that we could only play with her and talk to her for a few minutes then leave her alone so she wouldn't get over worked. It does get better, just calm down, walk away and take a breathe if you feel your gonna break. Ask for help to.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If you are honestly stressed out at 8 weeks, then I do not know what you are going to do at 2 years. Maybe you should seek help, anger management, etc.
    Anonymous

• You don't need anger management you need alone time. Don't listen to ANON. Not all babies are easy and that doesn't mean your crazy or a bad mother. A fussy unhappy baby is hard for everyone but her. See if someone can babysit for a bit or try doing massage to calm the baby or a relaxing bath. Have time for you.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• No, you are not selfish. Picture this... you survive the coming year or so. Then have another baby just like this. Now you are putting yourself AND your older child through hell.

I've been there. My daughter had colic, reflux, and a heart problem. As the weeks went on and on with no real sleep and constant stress from the crying that nothing would calm, I just wanted to scream. Finally I realized that part of the problem was post partum depression. Do be sure to consider that. Not only does it suck the joy out of every day life, it also disables our ability to cope with stress. If you even think that might be a factor, talk to your doctor. Even with help, it can take years for it to go away completely.

And I agree, do NOT listen to the know-it-all, perfect-mom-with-a-perfect-baby anonymous. Unless you have lived through this type of hell, you do NOT know how awful motherhood can be.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I does sound like colic. and we went through it too. You really need a break. Do you have a friend or relative who can come over and hold your baby for a bit so you can get out.
    It really will get better; but not as quickly as you would like.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• YES, IF YOU ARE ALREADY STRESSED OUT AT 8 WEEKS, YOU GOT A PROBLEM. THE WORST IS YET TO COME. IT IS CERTAINLY NORMAL TO BE STRESSED OUT SOMEWHAT BABIES CAN BE VERY DEMANDING. IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT, SEEK HELP.

Answer by older at 6:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• No you are not selfish. You are just really exhausted! I agree with the other moms do the best you can and take a break. My son was very colicky too and it was so hard. He did outgrow it though! You might even be going through PPD just like Kaycee14 did. Definitely, talk to your doctor they are really good about helping you. I had depression during my pregnancy and PPD. I had a great team of doctors that helped me.
    littllea

Answer by littllea at 6:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Newborn and young infant have most trouble with colic. They can have gas pain and cry about it, or they just need some more attention. Some love the vibration, some loves the noise and some are just scary little kitty they cry almost any sudden move and noise.

My older, we fixed him with the vibrated seat and even on top of running drier, the montion and the noise calm him. My younger , he had gas pain so i watched out my diet since i breastfed him. Talk to your doctor. If you are bottle feed, the formula may not suitable to her.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• She's 8 weeks old. Did you have her so you would have a play toy. Maybe you should have gotten a puppy. The substained stuff comes much later. You scare me a little.
    Anonymous