What kind of workout can you do with an enlarged heart?

I have peripartum cardiomyopathy my heart function is slightly below normal. But as my heart has gotten better over the last year my weight just keeps creeping up and I have gained about 50 pounds since August 2008.

Ahnya541

Asked by Ahnya541 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Perhaps this is the kind of question you should be asking your doctor.
    Anonymous

• I would ask your doctor before starting anything but i would think that low impact workouts would be okay. such as weight: low weight high reps, walking or swimming.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• discuss with your doctor - Walk! Walking is the best excecsise - start slow and easy with increasing your distance weekly - takes about 4 weeks to really start to feel the affects but is the best possible excercise
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 6:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• So I have asked my doctor in the past and they just tell me to walk. I guess I'll just be walking but it is boring, time consuming, and the weather is really rainy here in my part of Oregon. I was looking for something else that would keep me a little drier but without joining a gym that I can't afford it looks like walking is my only option. Since those are my only excuses I'm off for a walk. Yucky!
    Ahnya541

Answer by Ahnya541 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Walking is the absolute best. I feel for you as I live in the northwest also. I have a group on here Invisible Illness Fitness Group. Totally dead. But you are welcome to join, perhaps it will liven things up. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If walking is what the doctor suggests, then I would look into Prevention online for walking routines that will make this exercise not only much more interesting, but also challenging enough to make you feel great, and also lose any extra pounds you want.

This might even motivate you to join a local walking club, and you could set a goal to walk a marathon. :) Find friends who need to walk also, and you become their "trainer".

My favorite tip for walking is to buy a mid range priced ($14) pedometer and set your goal to walk 10,000 steps a day. If you keep your calorie intake to no lower than 1500, you can loose several pounds a week. Keep your water intake to the 8 glasses a day, take in lots of fresh veg. and never forget protein with each (3) meals a day and you will feel the best you ever have, be the healthiest ever and be able to motivate others. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Always ask your doctor before doing any type of exercise !!! But just walking around should not be harmful. I get high blood pressure I walk it helps a lot. So Just watch what you eat that very important.
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2009