how can i get my almost 4 yo to stop using a slippy cup ?

she using a big girl cup most of the time and sometimes shell throw a fit if she doesn't a big girl cup. she mostly wants it during the night at bedtime and i wish i really could make her stop wanting them ... but i have tired all i know ,, someone please help me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sit her down during the day and help her put it in a box to mail to the "Sippy Cup Fairy". Explain to her that the fairy is gonna give it to a baby that needs it and put the box on the porch. While she is sleeping that night do what you want with the package, but leave a small toy in the mailbox/on the porch with glitter/confetti around. Once she wakes up get her excited "Lets go see if the Sippy Cup Fairy came!"
    Aplatel87

Answer by Aplatel87 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Stop giving them to her. Throw them away or clean them and pack them up. She should have a cup at night to avoid rot in her mouth. She is old enough to drink her cup before bed and then have water and her teeth brushed and put to bed without a cup. If you don't have them she can't want them. CONSISTENCY and she will stop if you don't give in and give her the cup. She is 4 and not the parent so if you don't want her to have it get rid of it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. Stop giving it to her. She throws a fit because you give in
    Anonymous

• My daugher had a sippy cup of water next to her bed at night until she was 10 or so; now she has a Sigg bottle.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• We have just stopped giving our LO a sippy in bed. He can have a sippy with water in bed but he refuses because it isn't milk. So he just goes without one. I let him drink from a sippy during stories, then brush teeth and bed, no sippy.
    I asked him if he wanted nice white healthy teeth, of so he couldn't take the sippy to bed.
    He is almost three.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If you don't want her to have one, then stop giving her one.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• if you don't give it to him, then he has to use the glass.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I suggest start with "i forgot it" and than just not come back in the room to give it to her. Or replace it with something like water that she doesnt want to drink. She's not yet 4. My 4 yr old just all of the sudden decided she didnt want sippys anymore. Good luck. Its not like its a bottle or anything.
    Anonymous

• Good luck!
    Aplatel87

Answer by Aplatel87 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Just stop giving it to her. 4 is plenty old enough to be using a real cup, and I'm pretty lenient on that stuff! If it bothers you, stop it, you're the one in control.
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 8:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2009