Whooping couch, croup, or just the common cold?

My daughter has had this barking cough for a couple weeks. We took her into the doctor who said there was nothing wrong. But I don't believe her. Gut instinct tells me different. We are having a second oppinion tomorrow. But I wanna know if anyone knows What whooping cough or croup sound like. I tried looking it up on youtube and it didn't really help. Thanks ladies.

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 4:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know what croup sounds like... .,y brother had it way too many times as a baby :( they did breathing treatments and put him in the bathroom with the hot water running from the shower. If it gets really bad... and she has trouble breathing take her to the ER, otherwise your can just do what you can to loosen the mucus, poor baby, I feel so bad for her.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It sounds like she has croup. My youngest had this about a month ago & it does sound like a barking cough. When you take her tomorrow, make sure that the doctor can hear her coughing. The second my son's dr heard him he knew what it was. They give out a 3-5 day medicine and it was gone in about a week. Hot steam helps to break up the cough and cold weather (or even sitting infront of the open fridge) helps them not to cough so hard.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• croup really does sound like a seal barking. my daughter had it a few weeks ago and i woke up in the middle of the night heard it and was freaking out b/c i didn't know how bad croup is. it goes away fairly quickly, i took my daughter to the er b/c she wouldn't take motrin for her fever and it kept going up, they gave her a steroid to help prevent the lungs from closing up and said to just keep her calm and comfy when she does have a coughing fit.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yes... if you hear it and it doesn't make you say, barking seal, (really, literally, exactly like that -- it should sound nothing like any cough you've heard before), then it's not croup.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Croup sounds like a barking seal and usually only lasts for 3 days. It mostly only is heard at night as that is when the virus multiplies and causes the throat to inflame which is why the cough sounds the way it does. It's sometimes accompanied by a sore throat and hoarseness. (it's laryngitis in an adult)

Whooping cough has a sharp "whooping" sound as they intake air before coughing it back out.

If it's a cough that sounds like it's very loose, congested, etc...it's a cold and can take at least 2 weeks to go away.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2009