Have you received a degree from University of Phoenix?

Is the same as a degree from a real college? Do they accept finacial aid? What are the classes like? I would like to get a teaching degree before my 1 year old goes to school when he is 5.But I have to babysit for money so I can not go anywhere for classes.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 4:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you want to do teaching then I would suggest Western Governors University. It is the only NCATE accredited online school. I have know several people who obtained their degree from there and were hired soon after graduation. Good Luck to you!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I was going there currently taking a break, and start again in July. Yes its the same degree as you would get if you went to a "real" class room every day. Yes they do financial aid, in fact that is one thing you have to do before you start, just like a "real" school. I am studying Elementary Education. I love it there. I have been to one University, on community college, and one business college. I love U. of P. better than any of the other three, and have made much better grades there as well. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help you, just PM me!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I worked for and attended University of Phoenix. Although I have not received a degree from there, they are a private, accredited institution. I have taken online classes as well as on-ground classes and the classes are like any other college classes: the instructors are patient and helpful, with that being said the on-ground class setting is better, because I find that the study groups that you have help you to get through your program alot smoother and online classes are double the work, with very little assistance. I've worked in the financial aid department for 3 yrs, so yes they offer financial aid. They offer Associates, Bachelor and Master Degree programs. Good luck!
    tseymour

Answer by tseymour at 4:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Avoid for profit universities; they have accreditation issues and their degrees are often not taken seriously by HR professionals and hiring manager. Most state universites and community colleges offer online classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I 2nd rkoloms. Plus call around- other universities won't accept a transfer from UoP. Even businesses won't accept a degree from them. If that's not enough for you- your local state college is probably cheaper, and you can do all your school work online. A year ago you probably couldn't, but now you can...
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• They are very expensive when I looked into them it was going to cost me 40k to get my degree over 3 years. I went to a Regents college in my state took all my classes online with the exception of my last two semesters and spend 1400 a semester over three years. I would not waste your money. My husbands company does not even consider University of Phoenix graduates when they submit a resume.

Anonymous