Kitty question.

Ok, I have the sweetest cat. I love him dearly and normally he doesn't act out. But I'm due to have my first child in July and suddenly the cat decideds to act strange (I was already pregnant when he was given to me, so I don't think it's that). Here's the thing, I've been trying to keep him out of the nursery since the day he peed on the diaper bag. Lately he's been sneaking into the room any time I open the door, and twice I've caught him in the crib. My question is, are there any tricks to keep him out of there, he loves to lay on my chest, DH's chest, really anyone who will sit still long enough, and my fear is that he'll try to lay on the baby's chest (he weighs 18 pounds) and I'm worried that he may hurt her. I know he wouldn't do it intentionally, but he's a snuggler and if he tries to snuggle up to her he might smother her. Anyone have any ideas to keep him out of the nursery?

heratyc

Asked by heratyc at 4:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pets

• It sounds like he's claimed you and is jealous. Let him have time right now to explore in there as long as you are in there too. Don't let him in there if you are not there, but do it nicely. Imagine redirecting a child. If he continues to get up in the crib...first, pick him up and tell him that's not his spot or whatever, but let him look. Then gently place him down on the floor. If he does it again, get firmer, then immediately place tin foil on the mattress. CATS HATE TINFOIL. Make sure to introduce the baby smells to him before the baby comes home. Let them have their introductions when you first bring the baby in the house too. Most importantly, let the cat know you still love him. Some of my best memories are of rocking my daughter to sleep and my kitty cat purring on my lap.
    Anonymous

• just keep the door closed, when he does go in take him out immediately. i had the same fears with my daughter, we let our cat explore her crib a bit and her bassinet before we had her, that way she already knew what it was and wasn't totally interested in it, so she never once went in there when victoria was a baby. she also never snuggled onto the baby, i think animals have a sense when it comes to that kind of thing. just keep an eye on him when he is around the baby, let him see, sniff and rub against baby with you holding her that way he can get rid of his curiosity. that worked for my cat at least. and shes a major snuggler too
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I agree with vabchmommy...another suggestion is to keep a loaded squirt gun in the nursery. If he manages to get in, nail him. He'll start to associate the room with getting wet and might think twice about going in next time.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• this is normal cat behavior. Even if you were pregnant when you got him, you body is still under going changes, and producing all kinds of pharamones. As for the nursery, he is trying to stake his claim in it. My cats did the same thing. As soon as my daughter was bigger, and the nursery wasn't strickly off limits, my cats really could care less about going in there now. One of them does like the quiet back there, and will go there to sleep. I still catch him in the crib, but my daughter is not allergic so it doesn't bother me. The door is closed when she is sleeping so no worries there. You can buy nets that go over the top of the crib (depending on your crib) that will keep them out, keep the door closed, or put a screen door in place of the bed room door. This way the room is still open, but the cat can't get it. Probably the best thing to do though is let him explore. Just put up anything you don't want him in.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I got a cat just before my son was born, he laid on my tummy from the day we got him until I had my son,(the poor baby never knew wat happened to his bed after that, lol) but once my son was born, my cat wud lay either on the legs of my son or next to him, he NEVER got close to his face. I always kept a close eye when he was around but he did great. Now my son is 2 yrs old and the cat was his. U ask Rascal where his baby was and he wud go straight to my son, he followed him like a puppy. But the cat may,not sayin he is, just want to find a way to bond with the baby, just watch them closely.Also get the cat ready for the baby, don't hurt it, but tug on its tail, ears and fur, wat a baby will do to it, and the cat will b ready for that when the baby starts it &won't freak and scratch the baby.
    StinkysMommy

Answer by StinkysMommy at 6:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My cat did the same thing. He even does it now! Yhank god my sons did not use the crib, my older one sleeps in a toddler bed and my infant sleeps in a crib in my room. I quess the crib was bought for him lol. Now He sleeps on my bed on my pillowor with my older son. LOL Keep the door closed. I know sometimes you forget like me. Good luck
    Luckylady32807

Answer by Luckylady32807 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• most likly when the baby is in it and cring the cat will not go near it. I wouldnt worry about it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• cats can kill babies by getting in their face, it will take the breath right out of the baby. and i hope you are not changing the litter box while pregnant that is a big no-no too.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:49 PM on May. 6, 2009