Is the price of groceries really going up that much?

I used to spend $200-$250 every two weeks for groceries for my family of 5. These past 2 months, it has been close to $350 every two weeks and I'm buying pretty much the same things. I don't notice a huge price change in any certain thing, but for it to have gone up over $50 a week is crazy! Are any of you noticing this too?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ya, i used to spend about $250 every two weeks too, now its up to between $350 and $400 if i buy the cheaper brands its closer to $300, if i go with the brands i bought when the prices weren't high its closer to $400
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i havent noticed a change... but i dont pay too much attention...

i spend about $230 a week.... but i buy a lot of things in bulk that last a logn time.... plus i ahve a 9 month old
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Wow, I only spend between $100-$150 for a family of 5. My kids are younger but how do you spend that much! I have noticed some increase but not that dramatic.

A couple of ideas, by store brand for most packaged goods, if there isn't a significant quality difference then why pay so much more? Cook at home and buy fresh rather than prepackaged when you can. The more convenient it is the more it costs. And like the poster above said buy in bulk if you can.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I've noticed a big increase as well. I've been cutting back on meat and it's STILL more.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Here are some great ways to cut your grocery bill. Go through your coupons and plan meals and snacks before you make your list. Write a grocery list based on only what you need to complete your meal plan. Stick to your list, no extras! Replace meat with dried bean, lentils, chopped veggies, brown rice, tofu, etc. Don't buy and beverages: no juice, no milk, definitely no soda. Drink lots of water; liven it up with a slice of orange; for the kids, freeze blueberry "eyeballs" in ice cubes. Instead of ice cream, try banana cream: buy those old, clearance bananas; as soon as you get home, peel and cut into 1" sections; put in a zipper bag and freeze; Frozen chunks mashed with a fork with a sprinkle of cocoa is better than ice cream!
    Feel free to contact me for budget friendly, family friendly, healthy recipes.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• we always buy store brand.... and even though i spend 230 a week, its actually about 10 days

but i also have to feed a 9 month old a toddler and 2 adults, plus a nother toddler 2 days a week and a 10 year old every other weekend.... plus SO works outrageous hours so i have to ahve quick food he can make if he comes home at 2 am and is starving....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• no we havent noticed ..
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I've noticed a big change. We were spending $150 every two weeks for our family of three and now i'm spending $200 - $220. And i'm not buying anything different. Just the same ole same ole.
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• We are in Washington State, and the cost of living up here is higher than it is in many other places (not including California!) I do buy non-convenience foods, lots of dried beans, ground turkey in the bulk package ($1/lb), no frills, but my 4 year old has to have milk, and she has to have whole milk per dr orders because she's not gaining enough weight. We shop at farmers markets for our organic produce which is cheaper than stores produce, we buy only meats on sale (mostly chicken, never beef its too expensive), we use lots of brown rice, fresh or frozen vegetables whichever is least expensive, fruits for snacks instead of prepackaged goods, we make our own cookies and cornbreads. I cook most everything from scratch, and it is still right around $200 a week to make it through. We spend $350 for 2 weeks this past payday, and it is now 3 days til payday and we are living on peanut butter and jelly and ramen noodles!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Oh and that is with doing coupon clipping and meal planning based on what coupons I have that aren't for junk food/convenience products. I have high cholesterol and am trying to manage my weight so we can not buy stuff like macaroni and cheese and hot dogs, it is out of the question. I save $15 or so per shopping trip with coupons, and I do buy things by the case if I find something cheap. We shop at a military commissary that often has case lot sales where things are cheaper but for the most part it is junk like Stove Top stuffing, jello pudding cups, marinades (we make our own), stuff like that. I do enjoy finding canned vegetables at the case lot for average 25 cents a can though!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2009