What kind of meat do you use to make "Shredded beef for tacos"?

And how do you cook the meat in a crock pot? I have a brand new crock pot i got for as a gift last year. I been using it but i been sooo wanting to learn how to make shredded beef. i have tried 5 times and failed. I dont know if its the meat im getting is wrong or what. I ask the butcher and he gives me chuck? i think....

i tried on the stove with water, in the oven and crock pot. i put it on low but after it has been full cooked its sooooooo hard. I am like wtf did i do wrong. So please any of you ladies know how to make some wonderful shredded meat for tacos. I hate ground meat in my tacos!

Thanks in advance. please post recipes or links to them :)

aeroslove

Asked by aeroslove at 4:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I use the same meat I use in a pot roast. Cook it in the slow cooker all day and then shred it using a mixture of ingrediants.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 4:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• add water to the crock pot as you go throughout the day to keep it from drying out, just enough so that the bottom of the pot is covered in water, that should keep it from getting hard or dried out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Thanks!
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 5:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Well the most common tacos are with ground beef but since you don't like ground beef we won't make ground beef tacos...lol

Anyway you can get a brisket or a roast and either put it in the oven with an oven baked bag (Reynolds brand is good) season it with what ever flavor you are wanting add a cup of water for it going into the oven and close and make tiny little holes (4) with the tip of the fork or knife and stick in the oven for about 3 to 4 hours and cook at 350 and waalah and meat will be falling apart mmmm. Now if you are going to use the crock pot place the meat in the pot with one cup of water and put the lid on after you've added your ingredients for taste and let that cook atleast 8 hours on low, now the only way you are going to get shredded meat is cutting the meat into the opposite directions of the brisket if you were take a piece of meat it will be long and stringy looking so cut the other way. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i cook my shredded beef in the oven with onions and garlic. i use a pot roast and when you stick a fork in it and its stringy then you know youve done something right.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Ground beef
    SmartnCute

Answer by SmartnCute at 5:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Ok, so here it is. Go to the butcher shop and tell them what you are using the meat for and they will tell you which kind to buy. Once you have it, put it in the crock pot with water and the seasoning ALL DAY. Just because it looks cooked does not mean it is ready. Don't take the lid off for at least the first 5 hours. After about 8-10 hours on low, you can tear it apart with a fork. Good luck!!!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my husband and i always use round roast! or for a quicker cooking time you can use beef for stewing, it's always cut up for you, make sure it stays covered with water. when it is done just shread it with a fork. a little tip to make it extra tender, cut up a white onion and let it cook with the meat it gives great flavor and makes it very tender.
    lexiquintero

Answer by lexiquintero at 6:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I use lentils. I have some amazing crockpot recipes, feel free to contact me and I willl be happy to forward some to you.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009