What do you think of the public school system?

I homeschool my three grandchildren that my Dh and I raise. We do this mostly because the schools aren't teaching them anything. Also, because of what they learn at school that we don't want them to learn, from other kids, general society,etc. Interested to hear what others think.

momagain3forall

Asked by momagain3forall at 5:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I plan on homeschooling mine as well, It is not the same in public schools like when I was in it.
    Anonymous

• I think some schools are awesome and some schools are not. I think even the bad schools have wonderful teachers and the great schools have iffy ones. I'm upset that we left New Jersey (one of the top 10 states) in education to come to South Carolina where its 50. So yeah! It's what you make of it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• its all about parent involvement.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i think that though you may want to shelter them. They will learn about ALL of it one day. And though there are many bad things kids learn in school, there are also positive things they get from it, like social skills. If you put your kids whatever their age in a group of kids their own age do you think they would know how to act or make friends? It also helps with prejudices (especially in public school) because they mingle with kids of every race, color, and from every corner of the world. Plus they get to learn fun electives that help them decide what they are interested in doing for a career. Like what if you have a chemical engineer in one of your kids but they never get in a REAL chem lab?
    collegemom1007

Answer by collegemom1007 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• We have great communication/relationship with our son. Public school absolutely exposes kids to sooo much more than just education. I homeschooled my daughter in 7th grade but then let her go back only for her to drop out at 16 and get GED. public school was not good experience for me or her or my dh. My son is okay for now but we are thinking about homeschool if problems arise. There are alot of F-ed up families out there and my son shares some crazy stories with us. It is teaching him to apreciate me and his dad.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If it's all about parental involvement, I'll do it myself. The local school here was good, but getting worse. My friends spend SO much time helping their kids with homework and supplementing what the school doesn't cover, it's pathetic!

It takes me less time to homeschool, my kids are thriving, and I get a lot more freedom and flexibility.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If you live in a good neighborhood the schools are excellent.
    NewYorkCafemom

Answer by NewYorkCafemom at 5:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It seems the main purpose of public schools today is just to indoctrinate children with worldly views on all the social issues instead of educating them academically. That's why my husband and I chose to home school our children. Not only because the public schools are so anti-God, but because the quality of education there is, in our opinion, very lacking. My children were given to me to raise and I'm not gonna give that blessing to anyone else. We started homeschooling our first daughter, who is now almost 24, back when it was virtually unheard of and very misunderstood. We love the bond we created and still share, with her and our 18 yr. old son. And now with a 2 & 3yr old, we're blessed to get to do it again! It's not easy and many days you ask yourself what in the world you were thinking! But, when we look at the quality people they have become, we know it was the right decision.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The United States does not have one public school system; we have thousands. Which school system are you asking us to critque? My 8th grader is in a 6 year high school program and is taking HS honors geometry, sophmore honors French and English and freshman honors biology. If she continues to work hard and keeps her grades up (all As, except for geometry), she will graduate high school as a college sophmore, saving us 25% of college expenses.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i've had no problems with the public school system my kids attended/attend.
    my oldest graduated in the top 10% of her class, was a national honor society member, started colle (aeronautical engineering) at the age of 17.
    my middle child will be graduating in a few weeks in the top 10% of her class, national honor society member, being honored in a week at a banquet for outstanding achievement in info tech, starting college in august for info tech.
    my son started school at 4 like his older sister, he's a junior ight now, not in the national honor society but an honor roll/merit roll student.
    they all volunteer , their teachers attended their fathers funeral last july bacause we were involved in their schooling. they attened the oldest's graduation party & are doing the same for #2.
    they see bad things at school but it's parental involvement that has kept my kids heads on straight even after their dad passed away.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 6:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2009