Breastfeeding Help!!!

So the thing is I have been Bfing since my LO was born. Mostly pumping now, b/c of work and whatever...(beside the point). anyway, she is biting me so hard that she actually got my nipple to BLEED!! Now it hurts to pump....I feel like my nipples have been laid on a table and hammered?? Is it time to just call it quits?? I'ts not a pleasant experience anymore!! My LO is 8 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is past the point where she gets any antibodies from your system, sobasically all she gets from you is 100% natural, better than you can find on the shelves formula. You have to do dishes anyway with pumping all the time, so I would say just bottle feed. I am going to be stopping at 6months (which is generally when the antibodies stop because even without work I have to pump all the time.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 5:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The first poster is completely WRONG! Studies show babies well into their toddler years still receive antibodies that help fight germs and infections you or they may encounter! Formula cannot be compared to breastmilk because your baby gets more nutrients AND antibodies when you breastfeed. My advice is to hang in there and don't give up! Try some over the counter nipple creams and take a break from pumping for a while but try again when the pain has subsided a bit. Good luck!
    SmartnCute

Answer by SmartnCute at 5:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You need get her to stop biting you. This is probably the first time that you will disciple your child. When she bites you, pull her off and say NO! This may scare her a little and she may cry.
    When my daughter started biting, she would get a devilish look in her eyes just before she chomped, so you may be able to prevent this.
    The World Health Organization recommeds breastfeeding for at least 2 years; unlike the American Academy of Pediatrics, they are not influenced by the formula and dairy industries.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• break her of the biting! It's not to late...although I broke my son of the habbit when he was gumming me, before he got teeth. For now, I'd pump while your nipples heal...then start again. If she bites, unlatch...tell her no and then try again...if she does it again unlatch...tell her no and then put her down. If she is really hungry she'll learn fast not to bite. After a few minutes you can pick her up and try again. A lot of times they are playing and are done eating when they bite or maybe she's ready to switch sides...either way keep breastfeeding and just break the habbit. Every now and then my son bites, but it's hardly ever and I just keep reinforcing what I've already taught him and he is now 8 months and we both still love to breastfeed.

britni11

Answer by britni11 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• OP here...the thing is she has been biting me for weeks....I have tried the discipling and everything that the LLC recommends....I am not debating the health benefits but I CANT BF her, she bites...IM BLEEDING....I don't know what else to do.....
    Anonymous

• Its just turning into such a horrible experience for both of us....
    Anonymous

• Also, the benefits for the baby are wonderful...but you should keep going for the benefits for yourself as well. If you breastfeed a lifetime total of 2 years you drop your breast cancer rate 44%, if you do it 4 years it's 66% and 7 years drops it to almost 0% of getting breast cancer. It also helps prevent osteoporosis, ovary, uterine and other female cancers! So it does help your baby...but it also does wonders for your future health. My son has been sick half the number of times as a baby who is formula fed at his same age and has never had an ear infection. I do believe breastfeeding is the reason for that.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I KNOW the benefits...hence why I have BFed for the last 8 months....that's not my question. thanks anyway...
    Anonymous

• I know, I answered your first question...just reinforcing why you shouldn't quit at 8 months if you knew the benefits...I didn't see why you'd quit...just fix the problem. JMO. Call a la leche league consultant and have her work with you in getting your daughter to quit.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• First things first, your baby is not biting you on purpose. She is not trying to inflict pain or harm you, odds are she is merely adjusting to her teeth.
    If you want to continue to breastfeed then you should seek advice from a credible source like the La Leche League.
    The moms and leaders there can give you tons of help. Biting is a totally normal occurance and with a little help and guidance you can encourage your daughter to stop without having to stop breastfeeding.
    Also, I take issue with the mom who claimed that antibodies are no longer present in your milk. Scientific research has proven that mother's milk is constantly changing. The antibodies and immunities are ever present. When mom gets a cold baby gets the antibodies mom's body is producing to fight the cold. I'd love to see some research or evidence that proves otherwise.
    Anonymous