• In the Spotlight:

3 weeks

how much should my three week old be eating in a feeding? and how much throughout the day?

knjones

Asked by knjones at 5:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• normally between 2-4 oz a feeding and every 2-3 hours....
    Anonymous

• depends. Im assuming you are bottle feeding. I agree with the above but I was told 2-4 oz every 3 to 4 hours. But my son eats every 3. Dont force baby on a schedual they will make their own as time goes on. Sometimes he wants to eat every two. Just depends.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 5:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• As much as she/he wants to eat and how often. There is no limit, really. Feed on demand. You can't overfeed because if you try they'll just spit it back up.

The general rule of thumb is 2.5 ounces per pound per day (so a 10lb baby should take a total of 25oz) However, they can take more or they can take less. It depends on the baby.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i know not to force her, i just wanted to make sure she was eating about right...she started eating about 3 ounces in each feeding in the last week, so i just was checking. thanks :)
    knjones

Answer by knjones at 6:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i just went to my 2 week and my doc said the baby could have anywhere between 3-5 oz . He should be finishing 3 oz by now. My son eats anywhere between 2.5 hrs to 3.5 hrs
    Newmomma9301

Answer by Newmomma9301 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009