do you agree...

that when a young lady begins her period she should be introduced to pads and not tampons. Tampons are Great... for a grown woman, or some1 who is at least more mature than an 11 or 12 yr old. i think ill wait for my daughter to become sexually active before giving her that option. it jus seems a ll extreme to me for such an early age. and these girls seem to be gettin younger might i add. what do you ladies think, am i giving this to much thought?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree it's not something for young girls to use.
    SmartnCute

Answer by SmartnCute at 5:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• uhh either or
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 5:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I agree
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I agree. Tampons arent for everyone as I was personally told to NEVER use a tampon bc it can ruin the risk of me having a child. Its a long story
    Anonymous

• I wasn't even interested in using tampons until I was like 16. They scared me :p I think it's easier for a young girl to learn to use pads first. If you forget to change it, you're not risking TSS. And it's easy to forget those first few periods when you've never had to deal with it before!

Just remember to give her her space. This is a personal issue and she's going to want to keep it private. I begged my mom not to tell my dad and she did :( That and she kept asking me "do you have cramps?" "How's your flow?" "Do you need more pads?" I was like LEAVE ME ALONE! I felt like I was growing up too fast.

Give her a hug, congratulate her on becoming a woman and then just keep pads stocked until she asks to use tampons, or starts buying them herself. No big deal :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I would wait at least till summer and tell her they are ONLY for swimming. And if you are uncomfortable doing that then I would wait till she's at LEAST 14. I was a "late bloomer" and didn't start my period till two days before my eighth grade year. I didn't use a tampon till I was in 9th grade, and when I first started, I was using them wrong and was keeping the cardboard/plastic applicator INSIDE!!! Then I figured out after like the third time why it felt weird and it hurt. DUH you insert the tampon and take the plastic out!! So just wait till you're comfortable/she asks, and if you want to make it JUST a swimming thing, that would be my advice, till a few years from now. Make sure you are showing her how to use things though!! lol
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My daughter taught herself to use them at summer camp (she was13), she was not willing to miss a second of swimming, waterskiing, etc. I was really proud of her. I buy her the unbleached ones; the commericial ones are way too toxic. I am working on getting her to use the ones without applicators, and hope to convince her to use a Diva cup in a couple of years.

I am curious as to why you think that young girls should not use them? Do you equate tampons with masterbation? Do you think that they will rupture they hymen and "ruin" them for marriage?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I don't really think I would have a problem with my daughter using tampons at 12 or 13. I did when I was that age, I think it's a personal preference, I never use pads. But I have a son so unless we have another one it's not something I'm ever going to have to deal with. But as a parent, you have to do what you are comfortable with.

Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I didnt use tampons until I was like 17. They really freaked me out, to be honest with you. I agree with you though, that pads should be introduced first. Its easier, IMO, to learn how your body handles your period with pads.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• there are some activites that girls do that are not pad friendly. Many girls are more involved in competive sports at a young age and I couldnt imangine a young competive swimmer who recently started her period would it make more sense for her to wear a tampon or just forgo anything so she could swim? the same idea goes for say gymnasts, figure skaters and many other athletes.

Since I have 2 dds that are in the early teen and pree teen age my gut fealing is that if they are mature enough to insert the tampon herself and comfortable using one then let her use a tampon. I remember swimming and not wanting to sit out in JR high so my option was a tampon or sitting out so everyone knew when it was that time of the month ther was nothing like the coach still wanting everyone there weather you are injured or just not able to swim for what ever reason and people soon figured out that the girls were "injured" for about a week
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 6:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2009