my 15 months knows how to say mama but never calls me mama

when I ask him to say it, he makes a funny face to me, then he goes to play...at what age did your babies start calling you mama?

rozanova

Asked by rozanova at 6:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you call yourself mama? Its important for you to name yourself mama and call yourself that (instead of I or me) so that baby learns to refer to you as that.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my son is 2 1/2 and wont call me momma. he will sometimes so i know he can say it
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Don't take it personally. In fact, he is probably quite entertained by your efforts to get him to call you mama. Trust me, the day will come when you are sick to death of hearing that word!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• lol i COMPLETELY agree with rkoloms
    im SO sick of mommy, mom, ma, mama. UGH its REALLY non stop. all the time. all day. no matter what!!
    im sure he just finds it funny that you are trying to get him to say it.
    we did this mimicking thing though
    where i would point to him and say "David"
    then point to me and say "Mommy"
    it took like two months of this like five times a day, for as long as he would sit there
    but it worked. i almost regret it now!! haha just kidding!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• He knows that I am his mama, I call myself mama when I talk to him, he just doesn't wanna say it,but I guess he will someday...thank you all for your answers!
    rozanova

Answer by rozanova at 6:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My son just turned 16 months and has REALLY started saying Mama. A month ago though he NEVER said it. Funny how much can change in just a month! He'll be hollering Mama from two rooms away soon enough:)
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2009