Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what age can you give your child honey?

 
Bayareamommy510

Asked by Bayareamommy510 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 5 (102 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I am not sure about the boutulism, but the biggest reason not to feed a child UNDER\ ONE honey is because the same stuff that makes people have an allergic reaction to bees is in honey. So basically you would be reisking an allergic reaction which acan be fatal in babies.
    Bearsjen

    Answer by Bearsjen at 1:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • BEYOUND 1 years old maybe 18 months, anytime before that you're asking for trouble.
    ladyd6280

    Answer by ladyd6280 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • They recommend after the age of 1- (don't ask me who they are though ;) )
    CarieP

    Answer by CarieP at 6:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • Not before 2. Botulism is scary, don't risk it.
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • honestly, i gave my son honey when he was like eight months old.
    i didnt know i shouldnt
    i had NO idea.
    he was fine, thank God, but i wouldn't reccomend it before one year.
    mommykayti

    Answer by mommykayti at 6:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • I've always heard 2yrs old
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • Not before 2 because it can cause Botulism in kids under that.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • Don't give him honey it's not good for him before 2.
    cstitch03

    Answer by cstitch03 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • After the age of 1
    Lyss77

    Answer by Lyss77 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • I know for a fact that it is not due to allergies. Never give an infant under the age of one honey. This is what all of the pediatricians say. I should know. My son had infant botulism at the age of 5 months. He didn't get it from honey, Karo Syrup, or spoiled food. He got it from a spore that came from disturbed soil. He spent 2 months in the hospital. It could have been much worse. Thankfully, he did not have to have help breathing and spend 6 months in the hospital. We came extremely close to losing him.
    dustbunny

    Answer by dustbunny at 11:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

Next question in Kids' Health
allergy meds.

Next question overall (Pets)
What dog is better?

Recently Bumped in Parenting
Please keep your fingers crossed