Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do with a degree in English?

So I was a English Education major, but I wanted to get married, so I dropped the Education part and graduated a year early. My plan is to get my Masters in Education (and eventually my PhD, so I can teach at the university level). Well, my hubby got stationed in a place where there isn't a university close enough, and I don't like online colleges. So for the next four years, I have to find something else to do before I get my masters.

What can you do with a BA in English? Right now I'm doing classified subbing, but I am over-qualified and I'd really like to feel like I'm doing something associated with my degree. I graduated Summa Cum Laude for heavens sake, I ought to be able to do something with it all!


Answer Question

Asked by toriandgrace at 6:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 16 (2,467 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Well, you could write. Local newspaper or write a novel? Tudor high school students or even University Level Students?

    Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • Drug rep., writer, teacher, professor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • English major="Would you like fries with that?"

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • You can teach at a community college with a BA.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • Journalism. Didn't you ask them when you got a degree in that what you could do w/ that? I like the teaching at a college thing too. Or you could work for a paper/newstation, I guess. Maybe even in a library or a private tutor....Use your imagination.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • There is so much you can do with a degree in English. Check out this website- Also, in my state as long as you have a Bachelor's degree then you can be hired as a teacher. Once hired you have to have this agency come out and observe you teach so many times and you take a few classes held at the school. Once you complete it, you are then a certified teacher. I would check to see if there is anything like that in your area. You may also want to check on the jobs the Department of Defense has to offer on base. Good Luck!


    Answer by JeremysMom at 7:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • You can substitute teach without the teaching certificate. All you need in most places is a Bachelor's Degree.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • In my state you have to have a teaching license to sub, which is why I am doing classified subbing. The reason I didn't ask what I can do with this degree before I got it is because I had no intention of taking time off from school. I enjoy college, started two weeks after I graduated high school and graduated with my BA in only 3 years. I intended to start my master the following Fall, but am unable because of where I am situated geographically. Teachers must pursue their masters within ten years of teaching, so why should I go to school for 4 years for my bachelors then 2 more for my masters, when I could go for only 3 for the BA and get the MA in Education? Most people in the newspaper industry have journalism degrees, not English. I am more of an analytical writer. Thanks though! I'll look into DoD jobs and possibly tutoring, although Paras make a decent amount out here.

    Answer by toriandgrace at 3:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.