Explaining divorce to a 5yr old? plz help...

Need advice! Im currently going through a divorce...i have a five year old son and he is always asking "when will we get back together" I dont know how to explain to him the situation and that mommy and daddy wont be living together anymore. I could really use advice from someone who has been through the same situation..

strangest_angel

Asked by strangest_angel at 6:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would tell him that mommy and daddy want to see if they get along not living together better than wen we are living together. Now if daddy doesn't come home its not because he doesn't love us but because he wants us to be happy. I know you can't see it that way right now but when you're with daddy at daddy's house and you see how happy he is and you think about how happy we are(except when we miss daddy being here) you will then understand. It's sad but lots of mommies and daddies need a break sometimes, not from you but me. We don't want to(fight, argue, or maybe just don't want to work it out anymore, or whatever your situation is; except another woman) and just think we might do better apart inorder to take care of and love you better!!! My ma never bashed my dad but we found out the truth about him on our own. Be open but not too honest!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My kids were much younger when we divorced, but I've always just told them that Mommy and Daddy couldn't get along, so we had to have our own houses. But I just always told them that we had our own houses b/c we were able to be a good mommy and a good daddy much better if we didn't live together.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Go to counseling. You two will move on that child will suffer the consequences of you selfish decision the rest of his life. Counseling should be a part of this transition for him.
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:57, could you be any more of a bitch?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2009