Birthday Cakes

I am taking on the task on making my sons 2nd birthday cake. I am looking for ideas for rich tasty frosting. Do you use the premade kind or do you make one from scratch? Can I have your reciepe? What kind do you prefer? Do you use Fondant? Anytips on making a birthday cake? How and what do you use to make your frosting?
Thanks

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 6:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I prefer to use the premade kind (especially Betty Crocker, but any premade kind will work). I put it into my mixer and whip it up then frost the cake. With the remaining frosting, I add sifted powdered sugar 1T at a time until it can hold a stiff point (basically turn off the mixer, lift up the beaters, is there a point of frosting that isn't bending over.) Use this to decorate with.

My mom used to make wedding cakes. Her frosting recipe was:
    1/2 cup shortening (whipped)
    1 box powdered sugar - the receipe says to sift but she rarely would
    1/4 - 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk. (start with 1/4 cup then add a little at a time until you get a nice, creamy appearance and stiff peaks.)
    You can add 1/4 tsp butter and almond flavoring and barely a dash of salt to help make the frosting not so sickeningly sweet.

Make the frosting that you spread across the cake a little thinner than what you'll use to decorate with.
    ispybarbie

Answer by ispybarbie at 7:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I usually use butter cream frosting, I think betty crocker sells it. it's light fluffy and not too sweet. Light the usualy crunchy sugar frosting. I don't have time to make anything from scratch these days. A note on fondant, if you don't know how to work it, don't bother. It's tempermental and rips easily. Plus children usually don't find it that tasty
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I just make a buttercream frosting from my Betty Crocker cookbook. I will use fondant if I make a wedding cake for someone or another larger cake and then make a frosting for roses or anything else I put on there. Making themed cakes is a hobby of mine!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I use Wilton buttercream. If you need ideas go to www.wilton.com for some great ideas. I have found that Michael's craft stores have the best selection of wilton cake supplies.
    NWIndianaMomof4

Answer by NWIndianaMomof4 at 11:33 AM on May. 29, 2009