I have a mom and about 10 baby possums in my garage!!!!!

We don't want to hurt them or call a shelter that will kill them so what do we do? She is just trying to live and raise her babies like the rest of us moms here haha! So is there someone I can call that will pick them up and take them to the mountains or anything? The mountains nearby are only about 20 minutes away... My dad said he would try to catch them himself and take them up there (we have a dog crate). But the problem is getting the mom in, the babies are easy. What can we do? Thank you!

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 6:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pets

• I'm sure you can call someone who will remove them safely to another place, just look in your local yellow pages.

Anonymous

• get a Havahart Trap from a local shelter. they should let you borrow one and tell you what to do with it. the mama should be easier to catch that way. then you can set them free like you want to. that should be far enough away that they wont come back to your house. just be careful. they're one of those animals that carries lots of diseases, and the mamas can be extremely agressive.
    im so glad you're not gonna kill them!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 6:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Is it possible to just let them get a little bigger then take them yourself in a crate?? I don't know anything about possums...I live in the city...how cute though:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• call animal control they can come remove them and will rerelease them in a safe area.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I'd shoot them, they are vicious little vermin. JMHO
    Anonymous

• I'm with this one "I'd shoot them, they are vicious little vermin. JMHO "
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• There's rescue places that will capture them for you or as pagirl said try the animal control...As for the 2 anonymous, you're both ignorant.
    GmaPam7257

Answer by GmaPam7257 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Call your local Fish & Wildlife agent, they will tell you who to call. They usually have a trapper on call. The effective word here is WILDLIFE. Possums are wildlife!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2009

• theyre not vermin they are actually marsupials related to kangaroos and koalas. they have been around since before dinosaurs, they eat bugs, black widows, snakes even rattle snakes, and rats. they carry no diseases cuz their immune system is superior to ours. so we humans are more likely to get rabies than they are. they are good to have around. i called some people and they told me all this (multiple sources said all the same good things) they just get a bad rep. they wont hurt your animals, they only show their teeth if they feel threatened. they would rather run away they only bite if they are backed into a corner they will defend... im glad those people educated me maybe me posting this will educate you anonymous animal haters. maybe you are vermin who need to be shot. assholes.
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 1:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• One attacked my cat. He was sleeping on the porch and I heard a loud noise. I went outside and saw the nasty ass possum attack my cat over and over. Id want to shoot them myself, but Im a sissy and couldnt take a life, even of a nasty animal! Call someone who will trap them then release them. Look in the yellow pages. When I had a bat in my house it was 75 for a guy to come get it and set it free far away from my house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on May. 5, 2009