Birthday Cakes

I am taking on the task on making my sons 2nd birthday cake. I am looking for ideas for rich tasty frosting. Do you use the premade kind or do you make one from scratch? Can I have your reciepe? What kind do you prefer? Do you use Fondant? Anytips on making a birthday cake? How and what do you use to make your frosting?
Thanks

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 6:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• i go with just the simple betty crocker there great.........i did my baby first birthday it came out fine i was surprise myself
    rubipresiosa

Answer by rubipresiosa at 6:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Just remember you are making a cake for a 2yr old....they don't care as long as its sweet. I like to use box mixes and either add ingredients to them or make two and layer with either frosting, nuetella(sp), jam, etc...
    ChristineSellsT

Answer by ChristineSellsT at 6:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• This is the recipe I used for my MIL's birthday cake. It was very rich and very good. If you want a white frosting just omit the cocoa and use clear vanilla flavoring. I got this from the group Cakes 101.

2 sticks unsalted butter

4 cups 10x powdered sugar

1.5 cups cocoa

4 tablespoons heavy cream

1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring

pinch of salt

Sift cocoa and powdered sugar together so that it mixes together well. In mixer, cream butter and heavy cream. Add pinch of salt and vanilla flavor. Start adding powdered sugar/cocoa blend 1 cup at a time into the butter/cream mixture. Blend together well until all is added. You can add more cream to get the consistency that you want.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I'm not a fan of fondant. EWWWWWW! You can make buttercreme from scratch thats good.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I bake cakes from scratch and make frosting from scratch. Let me know if you would like recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009