we just got a kiten she is 5 wks and my family is freaking out that she can get me sick? what can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Health

• Are you pregnant? Just don't come in contact with the litter box or her waste. Wash your hands after handling her.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Dont change the litter box. Thats the only thing I have ever heard. Cats themselves are fine. Me and all of my sisters owned cats our entire pregnancy and every baby is fine (11 babies total) Its just the ammonia in their pee and the litter.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• First of all, do not go near the litter box. also be sure the cat does not scratch or bite you. My son got very sick from cat so I no longer have pets.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• If you have ever had a cat before, it's nothing to worry about you're already immune to what ever it is that they carry, but I wouldn't clean the litter box, make your SO do that.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• lots of people over react about owning a cat while pregnant. my cat hasnt hurt me at all. neither did the kitties of any of my friends or family. just take precautions:
    1- get her shots
    2- dont change the litter yourself (actually, keep it in a room where you dont go. it actually can hurt your baby)
    3- make sure she's clean
    4- if she scrathes you- wash it very well.
    thats it! kittens are a great addition to a family! don't let anyone talk you out of it!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 6:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• toriandgrace was the best answer i read, although i didnt read them all.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The kitten won't make you sick, the kitty litter can. Have someone else change the littler box.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i has a cat. you can get them tested at the vet. its a parasite in their poo that can swium across the placents if you breathe it in. dont change her litter without mask. and get her checked. if she doesnt have the parasite your fine.
    LotusBlossom21

Answer by LotusBlossom21 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2009